New construction wiring test

jbrunton

Joined May 3, 2013
This morning I watched a Youtube video on installing arc-fault breakers. I had an ah-ha moment when he connected the neutral to the breaker in addition to the load wire. I thought the two connectors were both for the load - an either or situation. Boy, do I feel dumb!

Now my neutral wires are too short to reach the breaker. Is it acceptable to attach a piece of wire so that it reaches and if so, what type of connectors should be used?

jbrunton

Joined May 3, 2013
As it turned out, only one wire needed to be lengthened so it wasn't so bad. There were however a few things that caused my inspection to fail: Breaker too large for air conditioner (installer wrote down what I was to do to connect the electricity since he wouldn't be doing that), the outlets on the ceiling of the garage for the door opener and hanging shop lights were not GFCI protected, no light in attic for furnace, no outlet within 25' of furnace and finally the worst - need to replace all outlets below 5'6" with tamper-proof receptacles. Not only was that a lengthy and tedious job but expensive. Six GFCI breakers ($42/3) and nine 20Amp outlets ($6/ea) plus $9/10-15Amp outlets for a total of 40 of those. All in all I still came out cheaper doing it myself. I should pass the final tomorrow unless something is noticed that was overlooked before.