New 4K photos from Mars. Did Mars have water long ago ?

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
A wise man not more than an hour ago just told me I was in a minority. different context but applicable here as well. And I agree with you 100%
But I'm on pins and needles something amazing is about to be revealed in our lifetime, heck in the next 10 years but that's just between you and me don't tell nobody. ;)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Yep. The Perseverance rover has been taking weather measurements:

View attachment 235409

I think it was Bill Nye who said: Antarctica here on Earch is an awful place and nobody is moving there to homestead...yet Antarctica is MUCH more habitable than any place on Mars.
Wow, Frosty The Snow Man will be very happy to hear about this, did anyone let him know yet?
Perhaps Santa will tell him.

Well one good point about Mars.. If you are overweight you will be happy to be able to know your weight on Mars will be around one third of what it is on Earth. So a 600 pound man will weight somewhere roughly around 200 pounds and be able to walk around like a 200 pound man on Earth.
Also tuna fish will weigh 1/3 of it's weight here so a 15 ounce can will only weigh roughly 5 ounces so the price WOULD be around 1/3 of the cost here on Earth. Of course shipping costs will be much higher though maybe around 250k dollars (USD) per ounce so expect to pay around 4.5 million for one can. In time that will come down a bit though due to self crashing ... oh, oh, i mean self DRIVING delivery space craft.

Doesnt the future of mankind look so bright?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I suspect we'll never mine the rest of the planets or asteroids. People want to liken it to exploration/mining resources here on Earth, but it's nothing like here on Earth. Going anywhere is hugely expensive and takes lots of time. And altering something like an asteroid - its orbit or mass - could have catastrophic consequences. Corporations motivated by profit here on Earth have no qualms with destroying and polluting...Space would be no different.
Yeah it's amazing how everything gets polluted even our immediate space area is polluted now with debris that have been left over from previous space projects. Enough so that the items have to be monitored by i think NASA so they they can warn the International Space Station.

I cant wait to get to Mars though, so i can throw my first recently emptied beer can on the ground in some pristine area.

Maybe we can ship all that sunken DDT off the coast of California up to Mars and dump it on top of an ice cap.

Hey if we could get to some black hole out there it would make the BEST garbage can!
The Universe's natural garbage dump.

I think it is becoming obvious now that intelligence creates an imbalance to nature. Nature seems to have everything under control over a longer time frame than intelligence. Nature has built-in recycling and gets rid of anything that dominates too significantly with respect to resources. That tells me we are all doomed one way or another unless we all get really really dumb really really fast.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

After recently watching a show on White Holes (as the opposite cosmic objects the Black Holes) i realized that if we are going to seriously inhabit the farther reaches of the galaxy and perhaps the even more distance places in the universe we had better get used to harsh environments.
We all grew up on Earth which is relatively our-kind-of-life friendly, but out there it is too rare to find something like we have here with so many resources immediately available to sustain life. The chance of us getting to a place that has everything we want is just so low that it may be impossible in the relatively near future. That means we must learn to deal with what we can find in the time allotted.

In that context that means that Mars may offer a good learning experience after all. IF we have it too easy, we will expect to find another Earth just like ours which again given the time constraints may be literally impossible. The question is, can we actually do it in time, or even do it at all.

It is amazing that the exoplanets being found today all seem to have something seriously lacking. Being in the so called "Goldilocks" zone is just one of the many, many requirements. I wont attempt to list all of them but a magnetic field comes to mind right away. Not only that though, that field has to be oriented in just the right direction to deflect certain types of energy being emitted from the sun there. An ozone layer is probably another requirement.
I wonder if we could find a list of all or most of the requirements somewhere.

What this all means is that we probably have to get used to harsh environments if we wish to expand out into the stars. Maybe that is why we dont have any absolute proof of alien life visiting Earth, it could be simply that no other life has made it that far either before facing some ecological doom.