New 4K photos from Mars. Did Mars have water long ago ?

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
The little information I have came from science websites. Hollywood sorry don't know.
HD image having large data file allows a more accurate pixel manipulation algorithm leading to an enhanced rendition.
When the solar wind combines with excess dust the protective bow incurs fractures the energetic dust releases thermal on entry.
Some marine paleontologist described the last stage of water on Mars that was capable of supporting life for the last surviving species.
Possibly
They decided the best exploration site should be the same as earth with fossils in sedimentary layer found in cliffs along the ocean ?
The new rover's capabilities are better equipped based on prior missions and technological advancement to find artifacts.

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
The Mars community had it all according to " Earth Changes Report , August 1997 / Issue 71,
Escape from Mars, Lessons from the Planet Mars." From my fading memory the Martians became complacent about their security and screwed up.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
Because not everyone agrees that what happened with Mars ocean will happen to Earth's ocean.
The study done at UCLA on magnetic reconnection could be significant. Earth passes through the dust
the scorched earth theory would be less significant and IBEX data might be more valuable to future Mars expeditions.
No matter what someones belief is space weather will prove to be. No refunds up_and_at_them

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

The latest theory i have heard of is that there is still water on Mars but it is underground.

What happened was various flyovers had shown some ridge like structures in the sand or whatever it is, and there were a lot of them. But with each flyover, the ridges were not in exactly the same place as the previous flyover, so with time they slowly move. Also, the ridges always start from a sort of cliff but out from the side of a cliff not from the top.

They determined that this was caused by liquid water underground seeping out of the side of the cliffs that would carry salt with it and that would form the ridge, then the water would get absorbed by the ground leaving the ridges. To support the reason for liquid water they said that the special kind of salt that was in the water kept it from freezing. That kind of salt was called "persalt".
(I've actually done this myself before, added salt to radiator water when a cold front hit one night and all the stores were closed so i could not get any antifreeze, but i used regular rock salt).

This idea came about because they saw this happen on earth.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
Unlike previous missions the fly over drone will be able to send back a birds eye view of landscape.
The test of the miniature life support generator will attempt to extract oxygen. The specimen cutter will have laser cutting capability and other advances being used and project goals includes surveying for future construction facility made with robots.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
The way i understand it is that this new rover is supposed to collect samples and a later mission is supposed to go pick them up and bring them back to earth to analyze. Not sure how much it can do while it is there other than that (except take pics) i havent read much on it yet.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
The latest video should be more accurate for color rendition than before. Some youtubes have not been reliable and accurate.
Interestingly this looks like, or suggests there could be frozen vapor in the picture, it might be early to confirm that this is what it is showing.

What is sublimation ?
Sublimation is the conversion between the solid and the gaseous phases of matter, with no intermediate liquid stage. ... "Dry ice" is actually solid, frozen carbon dioxide, which happens to sublimate, or turn to gas. I am not sure what gas this might be or what temperature it is at dawn ?

Last edited:

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
I had to look up a few facts about Mars on NASA website.
The average temperature on Mars is much colder than earth. It is -81 degrees Fahrenheit.
The gravity is 0.375 that of Earth and the atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide, with some water vapor.
I have'nt spent much effort trying to imagine what the Mars enviroment is like.
What I could find was a demo video pouring a few ounces of liquid nitrogen.
This is not water vapor in very cold low gravity enviroment but water might act that way on mars being so cold.
But it gives some idea about thermal conciderations of circuits on Perseverance.

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
A nightmare scenario is a team travels to another planet (maybe Mars) and when they get there the weather is real nice. Then as night sets in it gets colder and colder, and colder, and colder, and colder, until it gets down to some minus 200 degrees F and everything and everybody slowly freeze to death.

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
The average temperature on Mars is much colder than earth. It is -81 degrees Fahrenheit.
Yep. The Perseverance rover has been taking weather measurements:

4-14-2021 9-40-36 PM.png

I think it was Bill Nye who said: Antarctica here on Earch is an awful place and nobody is moving there to homestead...yet Antarctica is MUCH more habitable than any place on Mars.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Earth first we will strip mine the rest of the planets later but we will be out there that's the whole purpose of this correct don't you feel it within your bones were meant to explore out there "rhetorical question"
But I'm biased engineering the technology to do just that and make a little money.

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
Earth first we will strip mine the rest of the planets later but we will be out there that's the whole purpose of this correct don't you feel it within your bones were meant to explore out there "rhetorical question"
But I'm biased engineering the technology to do just that and make a little money.
I suspect we'll never mine the rest of the planets or asteroids. People want to liken it to exploration/mining resources here on Earth, but it's nothing like here on Earth. Going anywhere is hugely expensive and takes lots of time. And altering something like an asteroid - its orbit or mass - could have catastrophic consequences. Corporations motivated by profit here on Earth have no qualms with destroying and polluting...Space would be no different.