Neutral Wire

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
it's been covered he a few times but I just read a few article on the subject of neutral wire in an electric system. Let me know if I got it right

240V from the pole transformer
splits in 2 feeds 120VAC on one leg and 120VAC on the other leg
center tap of the transformer carries the neutral that goes to the ground carrying no voltage?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
True. The 240V winding on the mains transformer has a center-tap which is connected to earth ground and thus is called the neutral since it normally has no significant voltage as measured to ground (but it does carry current). The voltage across the two hot leads is 240V and the voltage from each hot lead to neutral is 120V.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Note the way crutschow worded it - " it normally has no significant voltage as measured to ground"

With respect to either 240 V legs it does carry 120V.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
With respect to either 240 V legs it does carry 120V.
Define "carry".

The normal voltage of the neutral to ground is near zero, generated only by any current through the neutral wire times the wire resistance.

The voltage from either hot wire to the neutral is 120V but I wouldn't say the neutral "carries" 120V. That's confusing to me. :confused:

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Yeah, remember voltage is potential difference.

The difference in potential between two points. I think you mean to agree with crutschow, the neutral can 'carry' current.

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
So is the neutral the ground for the transformer? Since neutral and ground eventually get tie together in the breaker box.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It is not a good idea to think that NEUTRAL is the GROUND for the transformer.

NEUTRAL is the RETURN path for the transformer. Current flows through the NEUTRAL.

No current should flow through the GROUND.