Neural Electrode Design

Mazaag

Joined Oct 23, 2004
Hey guys..

I'm interested in learning bout Neural Electrode Design.. any ideas what kind of material I should be covering? I'm just it depends on what type of electrodes and stuff that ..but I don't need specifs, just a general direction would be good..

Thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The Axon Guide is a great resource to have for any small ecectrode high impedance amplifier work. Google "axon guide" and get the pdf.

antseezee

Joined Sep 16, 2006
Hey guys..

I'm interested in learning bout Neural Electrode Design.. any ideas what kind of material I should be covering? I'm just it depends on what type of electrodes and stuff that ..but I don't need specifs, just a general direction would be good..

Thanks
The Axon Guide (google it) is a great and awesome resource for electrophysiology measuring. Generally you're going to need specialty electrodes (nano-sized) with a coating solution for conductivity (Ag-Cl, something along those lines). A common method for taking measurements is in a differential setup. You have one electrode that you put where you want the measurements taken. You have a second reference electrode placed in a neutral location elsewhere. You feed the outputs of the electrodes into a instrumentation amplifier, then to a filter, and then to an amplifier.

Companies sell electrophysiology modules out there, but IMO, they're crap. They're usually single pole filters with gain stages set way too high capable of introduce noise. I would design my own or look for a quality one with higher-pole filters.

There's some initial cost investments too. Your measurements are going to be in the uV and mV, and sensitive components are a necessity.