Network Switches and Backhauls - Alternate PW reset?

AJMetal87

Joined Mar 15, 2013
I have a general question about networking equipment I was hoping you guys could answer for me quick. I am assuming this is not possible, just looking for a confirmation.

I have a handful of boards (Alvarion mostly) that were purchased used. They however, are locked with a different password than the default and there is not any physical buttons on the PCB that allow password reset.

My question is this:

Theoretically, is there a way to reset to factory defaults on networking equipment by simply removing/resolding a certain BGA or any other IC without salvaging a chip from another unit to replace with.

There is not any type of removable battery on these boards, so I am assuming its all hardwired in those chips.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated! Thank you!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don't think the mere act of de-soldering and re-soldering is going to reset the password. If you can learn about how and where the PW is stored, it's remotely possible you could force a reset of the IC, perhaps after it was removed from the PCB. Sounds like a lot of work.

Have you contacted the manufacturer? There might even be documentation on how to do a reset.

AJMetal87

Joined Mar 15, 2013
Its not too much work, considering the cost of these units anyways. Yea, I thought of getting in touch with the manufacturer, but being so large of a company they have subscription based help lines which I am not interested in.

I am fairly certain that the PW is stored in the flash memory. I have been able to swap flash BGAs on similiar models to rid of the password issue. I just dont have access to salvage boards on this one.

I would be interested in hearing more or being directed towards where I would be able to learn how to manually flash IC's and BGAs.

Let me know. Thank you for the reply!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Unfortunately they require an insane $$$ subscription for they're support channel, what I seek would be included in that. That is way out of my budget.
Nothing a simple phone call and a happy attitude couldn't get around for a single question I'm sure.. :D

There are a few Alvarion support forums around too that are free..

AJMetal87

Joined Mar 15, 2013
Roger that. I am going to do more browsing. Correction to my statement regarding this particular unit, Alvarion had actually shut down. No help line to contact to give them the 'challenge string' so that they would be able to provide us with a new password to reset the device. Seems like without some extreme hacking skills its near impossible to reset.