NES/Sega Gamepads rf circuit using encoders

marc_the_kiwi

Joined Dec 24, 2008
Hi there... I'm hoping for some help with my little project....

Now I know enough to be able to put stuff together, but I must admit my electronics knowledge is a mish-mash of what I learnt 15 years ago in high school and the few tinkerings I've done since then. So first, let me explain what I'm doing.

As an avid retro gamer, I'm keen to use my old console gamepads on my pc/wii/whatever device.... I figure I could probably teach myself how to program pic/avr mc's, but that's a bit of overkill for something that I just want to work...

So, I've decided to pick up some rf encoder modules (4 bit address/12 bit data) from Radiometrix (http://www.radiometrix.co.uk/products/ctr124.htm).
They seem to fit my needs perfectly when coupled with a tx/rx module that's appropriate. Also, at most (for now) I'll be hooking up Super Nintendo gamepads... So 12 inputs is perfect (Up/Down/Left/Right/A/B/X/Y/L1/R1/Select/Start.. 12 inputs.. phew!).

Now, I plan on making this 'rf' portion independant of the system I'm using it on, but simply making a module that plugs in where needed....

For example, I'm going to use this USB Gamepad circuit so I can hook them up to my pc. I may end up gutting old controllers if I decide to interface to my wii (ie. gamecube controllers).

So here comes the question...

When I have the rf circuits up and running.. I'll press a button on the contoller, that will transmit over the rf link and drive the pin high on the appropriate pin of the decoder.....

So how can I take this event (the 'high' of the pin) and make it draw the button to ground... Effectively that's what all gamepad button presses will want... a short to ground and it registers as a button press...

Am I in need of an invertor of some description? Will I need to use relays (that would seem like overkill)..

Like I say I have a bit of knowledge, but usually just put together stuff others have already made... never making my own circuits...

Any advice on exactly how I can achieve what I want would be a godsend!

Please, if I'm not explaining things clearly or you need more info, just ask. I'm itching to get this going so badly... I've been collecting mint gamepads off of ebay for some time now (I have 2 each of Master System, Megadrive (Genesis) (both 3 + 6 button), Saturn, NES, SNES, N64!!) Can't wait to use my emulators wirelessly....

Many thanks in advance... I'm sure it isn't a difficult thing to do... I just need some direction....

Thanks
marc the kiwi.