Nema 23 Driver help

Zwilorg

Joined May 18, 2011
hello,

i am in need of help to start running my Nema 23 motor.

the specs of the motor are:

Distance over hubs
56mm (NEMA23) Motor

Maximum voltage [VDC] 60 Nominal voltage [VDC] 24-48 Nominal current [A] 4,2 Holding torque [Nm] 2 detent torque [Nm] 0,068 step angle ° 1,8 resistance / phase [Ω] 0,5±10% inductance / phase [mH] 1,90±20% moment of inertia / rotor [kgcm]2] 0,48 max load axial [N] 15 max load radial [N] 52

altough it is has the minimimum voltage at 24V i only have at the time a 20V 3.6A power supply will it work?

With this motor and power suply i tryed to get it working with a L293D and while it moved for a little bit... the l293d started overheating and i turned it off before it got wrecked...

then i used the l298N and this one didn´t even managed to move the motor... but this one got totaly wrecked and sent out alot of smoke lol

i am thinking about using this circuit to pump up the current input to the windings - http://www.ikalogic.com/shm_hb_l298.php

it gets the outputs in series so i would need one l298N to connect each winding

Anyone has a good idea how to make work? or if this will work?

Best regards and thank you,
Zwi

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I agree with R!ff@. Those chips were made for the small 'can' motors used in ink-jet printers. A NEMA 23 needs a real driver chip. Just because you find a circuit on the Internet doesn't always mean it will work. :)

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You may eventually damage your motor by trying to drive it with less than the minimum voltage in the spec.

The motor will pull excessive current under load at the low voltage you are using, and this may damage the windings.

Zwilorg

Joined May 18, 2011
Thank you both for those parts!

i think i saw them all but i have the problem with the current lvl... most of the parts that you linked can hold only 750mA or 2A per output...

and i believe that is the main problem.... that is why i am thinking on getting a connection like this:

Pic -> L297 -> 2 L298N

i have 2 L298N because of the current needed (2A per output) if this are in paralell it is supposed to be 2A+2A per winding on the motor that is what i need...

but getting all this is getting quite expensive -_-

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I think you are mistaken.
The Allegra can drive upto 3A per coil.

You ask for advise and you don't listen.

Built around the L298 or 297, you won't succeed much and you will be on ur own.

No one will give much advice on obsolete parts.

{ed}
By the way, ur supply is useless.
You will kill ur motor and driver, Period.

Zwilorg

Joined May 18, 2011
I think you are mistaken.
The Allegra can drive upto 3A per coil.

You ask for advise and you don't listen.

Built around the L298 or 297, you won't succeed much and you will be on ur own.

No one will give much advice on obsolete parts.

{ed}
By the way, ur supply is useless.
You will kill ur motor and driver, Period.
I am sorry if i sounded that way... but i am listening and i really did see all the datasheets of the parts you sent.

It really is 3A and i am sorry it was a typo when i typed 2A but it still doesn´t work out i believe because of the 4A it needs per coil/winding (am i wrong?_?)

You think that the supply is useless? that is the first time i heard that!
i was given that saying that it would work out and never even though that i could have a problem with it...

Can you elaborate why it is a crappy power supply for this case?

Thanks ;)!

Last edited:

ctstoner

Joined Jul 12, 2011
If you use a chopper drive, the power supply current should be fine. Since the resistance of the drive is very low, the drive will not need to pull the full 3.6A your power supply can source all the time.

If your looking for a NEMA23 driver, I used the Selene SE-100 for a motor very similar to yours with good results. It is a DIN-rail mounted driver, not a chip; but i've never seen an IC drive a NEMA23 stepper.

Here is a link to the SE-100:
http://www.selene.co/Product.aspx?SKU=SE100