Neil Armstrong dies at 82

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
R.I.P courageous explorer.

It's especially sad with NASA being recently dismantled, Mr Armstrong's death is seemingly confirming the end of an era of wonderful exploration. :(

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Truth, I miss our space program.
Its not that we cut back, or stopped doing a lot. But to shelf the entire space program is a massive sign of weakness I think. And theres some fields you never stop researching and stiving for advancment. Earths Core, Oceans Bottom, Space, Women, AIDS research, Cancer research, Stem Cells, etc...

UKWIZARD

Joined Feb 25, 2012
Whatever future space missions are carried out, Neil Armstrong will be remembered as the first human being to set foot on a celestial body other than the Earth.

What an awesome terrific legacy.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I was 13 when it happened. There was a lot of detail at the time. What is so hard to believe, you might as well argue the earth is flat, it makes as much sense.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I am not judging Armstrong. I dunno him personally or anyway other than what the media says.

I hope u guys are not mad at me for asking tht you really went to the moon.

I am not believing nor unbelieving.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I am not judging Armstrong. I dunno him personally or anyway other than what the media says.

"Mad" is not the right word, but why would you question his honesty in a thread that is meant to pay tribute to him? That's like walking up to a widow at her husband's funeral and saying, "I didn't know your husband personally, and I'm not believing or unbelieving that he was faithful to you, but are you sure he never had a mistress?"

OK, we are not his close family, but can you be sure that his family will not stumble across your comment?

One compelling piece of evidence that we went to the moon is the reflecting corner mirror system that is up there. Scientists routinely bounce laser beams off of these to measure the distance to the moon with very high accuracy.

Anyone with a basic knowledge of optics can calculate that these measurements are not possible by reflecting off the moon's surface and we need this special piece of equipment that directs the beam back to it's source. Also, the reflections come back only for very brief bursts as the laser is finely adjusted. This makes it clear that a very small and highly reflective object is being hit. So, either we put those mirrors there, or an alien race put them there and we just accidentally discovered them at the same time we created a hoax about landing on the moon. Believe whichever version you prefer.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009

Not at all, my good friend who actually consider mildly intellegent whole heartedly believes the moon landing was a scam. No matter what he won't believe. But he's one of those super poor redneck republicans. So he's kinda an enigma to start.

rogs

Joined Aug 28, 2009
Neil Armstrong. Arguably a candidate for being the most famous human being - ever?

Shame that none of us will be able to check that claim out, in a few thousand years time..... but wherever we go in the future, he will still remain the first man to have set foot on another world.

A modest man. A clever man. A fine engineer. A brilliant pilot.

They don't make many like that.

RIP, Neil.

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Our Taxes say different. ;)

Must have been my grandmother that went to the moon,I wasn't born then much less paying taxes lol.
She will be surprised when I tell her,she still thinks the world has four corners (no kidding).

For me,the most amazing part of Mr.Armstrong's story isn't his incredible bravery,It's how humble he was.

In a moment that changes everything,he didn't do a touchdown dance,he didn't hold up a foam finger chanting WE are #1.

Guess looking down at the glowing blue ball,you realize how insignificant things like borders,and taxes really are.