Negative P/S

Status
Not open for further replies.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
This Op amp is after a Power supply regulator that is a positive +10 volts

The op amp inverts the +10 volts into a -10 volts to make a negative supply

My question is what does Q7 do? what function does it do in the circuit?

What kind of circuit is this called please, the op amp and Q7 combination to turn a positive voltage into a negative voltage?

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Q7 is a buffer, it provides more current to whatever is down the line than the op amp could, the op amp would normally only be able to provide a couple mA, a transistor can provide much more

the opamp is in a negative feedback inverting setup
the transistor is a buffer

I would call it a "negative feedback voltage inverter with a current buffer", I don't know if it has an official term

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Thanks for the help

But the Q7 buffer has no biasing resistors, it's direct to supply voltage on the collect and direct on the emitter to the output

So the Q7 is not biased? any reason why

I thought OP amps outputted more current than a transistor did

Plus the Negative supply rail is not regulated, only the Positive supply
I have seen this type of stuff often when the negative supply is no regulated but the positive supply is, any reason why?

I need supply doesn't source current? only the positive supply sourced current more?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
So the Q7 is not biased? any reason why
It is biased by the nature of the op amp feedback. The only thing missing is anything to limit current in case of a fault downline.

I thought OP amps outputted more current than a transistor did
Typically it is the other way around.

Plus the Negative supply rail is not regulated, only the Positive supply
I have seen this type of stuff often when the negative supply is no regulated but the positive supply is, any reason why?
Necessity. Cost.
I need supply doesn't source current? only the positive supply sourced current more?
Positive sources, negative sinks. That's typical in most supplies. Offhand I do not know of a positive regulator that sinks or a negative regulator that sources.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Yes they use milliohm resistors in series as a fuse , a series resistor on the output of the p/s. But these aren't current limiting circuits

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
So I was playing with this circuit in multisim because it looked like something I actually needed.

Using an LM148FK, it shows as having a -18V output, with an 18V input.

If I use an LM148J then it only shows as being 157mV.

What gives?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
This Op amp is after a Power supply regulator that is a positive +10 volts

The op amp inverts the +10 volts into a -10 volts to make a negative supply

My question is what does Q7 do? what function does it do in the circuit?

What kind of circuit is this called please, the op amp and Q7 combination to turn a positive voltage into a negative voltage?

Dexter, is it possible that you post the whole schematic? If you do not like to disclose it, it's OK for me.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
So I was playing with this circuit in multisim because it looked like something I actually needed.

Using an LM148FK, it shows as having a -18V output, with an 18V input.

If I use an LM148J then it only shows as being 157mV.

What gives?
Spice opamp models have different levels of complexity, and IIRC model 2 doesn't include the supply voltage limits, while level 3 does.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Why are the diodes in the middle , it's separates the filter caps

Mostly I see the zener diodes at the END of the power supply, not placed in the middle

Why are the zener diodes placed in the middle of the filter caps?

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.