Needs assistance. ASAP

zeropulse

Joined Jan 12, 2014
So i have a problem concerning capacitors...
My professor asked our group to provide a capacitor module and on our prototype we used electrolytic capacitors with a rating of 250V. We were required to provide 1, 2.2, 3, 4.7, 10 μF. Every capacitor popped/leaked during testing because we had no orientation with AC circuits yet and i was hoping i could seek help from you guys. I'd appreciate if someone could give advice to which kind of capacitor is better to use in AC circuits and how to test it without a reactance meter. Thanks. :D

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
For AC circuits, you should not use electrolytics. Best are polystyrene, polypropylene or polyester types. Box types are there for these types.

Google them

The capacitor working voltage should be more 300VAC minimum if u plan to use them in 250VAC circuits.

Polarized caps will blow in AC circuits

PS the caps should have a label saying some thing like XXuf or 105 for 1uf, 225 for 2.2uf, and so on plus the working voltage label like 275VAC or 350VAC

Last edited:

zeropulse

Joined Jan 12, 2014
Thank you so much! I hope we were introduced to these types of capacitors before wasting these components. LOL. I feel so stupid not seeking help in the forums before doing this project. :)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You should not be working directly with line voltages due to the electrocution hazard. You should always use a standard transformer for isolation (not a Variac).