Needing help with Trail Camera Flash

gibster

Joined Dec 5, 2009
:eek:Ok folks, I am going into unchartered waters with this. Let me start by letting you know that I am not, by any streach of the imagination an electronics type of person. I do however use them, who doesn't:D. That is about where my knowledge ends. Anyway, I have a trail camera that teh flash quit working and am wanting to either fix it or get it fixed if possible. The photo capacitor is 330v 1000 μ F (dont know what the 1000 μ F means). I took a reading with a meter and it had 158v. Grounded across the leads (maybe ruined it?) and turned the unit on and it isn't charging at all. I can take a few pictures and post if it will help. Could the capacitor be bad or could it be the capacitor charger? Learned about it a few minutes ago by searching for information on a photo capacitor. Like I said, I'm not an electronics person. Anyway, is there anyway to test the charger? What about the capacitor? Is there anything else that could cause the flash not to work other than the flash itself? Also, I recently have been going through LOTS of batteries with this thing. Could the problem be related? Any wisdom that you could send my way would be greatly appreciated. If anyone out there is interested in a project, I would be more than willing to send them the unit to see if it is fixable. I contacted Moltrie and they told me that they didn't want to work on it since it is several years old. It takes great pictures and would like to be able to continue using it.