need your opinion about this project

kenichi

Joined Oct 28, 2013
i wanna build a pet feeder but i need advice..
i am uncertain to what kinda transformer to use as i havent know what type of motor have a strong turning power. any fan will do .
where can i learn how to select the right component for my project?please direct/advice me on what to learn..
i am on my final year diploma in E&E engineering i seem to be able to use some theory to make a circuit for this project but if there's any other way besides using experience to select type of component please advice me ..
i tried surfing circuit design.. but most lecture videos on circuit design are about microprocessor which is unrelated to this practical project.
if there is a course /book/ video that i need to know to design this circuit please let me know..:) this project also need to use an ic ...perhaps i can use 555 +capacitor+variable resistor to make delay but ... if you have any other ideas please share with me.. :)

the condition that my lecturer gave me is that no programming is allowed..
and there will be a question session later on about "the reason why i choose this particular component why not something else?" what should i do so that i can design a practical circuit and answer all their question confidently.. if u guys have any suggestion on what i should learn please tell me and i will look it up...

Attachments

Last edited:

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
What is your project supposed to do?

What I can see is that when the IR detects your pet, it starts your Fan and motor to make the food comes out from the feeder. You may put 2x 555 timers to time the amount of time say 60 seconds for fan motor and 10 seconds for the food motor to run. Would that be alright for your project?

I have seen food feeding for fish and tortise on another website but they all use a PIC mcu to control the sensors and motors.

Allen

kenichi

Joined Oct 28, 2013
What is your project supposed to do?

What I can see is that when the IR detects your pet, it starts your Fan and motor to make the food comes out from the feeder. You may put 2x 555 timers to time the amount of time say 60 seconds for fan motor and 10 seconds for the food motor to run. Would that be alright for your project?

I have seen food feeding for fish and tortise on another website but they all use a PIC mcu to control the sensors and motors.

Allen
thank U Allen,for sharing your idea .that sound very simple and practical nice i will definitely try it.
hmm PIC , i dont think my lecturer will approve the usage of programming.

Danm1

Joined Jul 19, 2010
It appears you will only feed the pet one time, so it's almost a useless exercise. This is almost more of a mechanical design problem than an electronic design problem. You will have a timer which fires a relay, then a solenoid. If you refine the mechanical part the design that would be a good first step.