need your help!

OldChipper

Joined Jan 29, 2009
Newbie, 1st post.
Guys, I really need your help! I'm retired, pushing 70, love working in my woodshop. Problem is the little lady has trouble coming to get me if she needs my help or to tell me I have a call. I’m hard of hearing and the Shop is more than 50 yds from the house!
I purchased a wireless intercom, which is fine when the machines aren't running! But if I’m using anything, no way I hear it!
Can any of you show me a ckt diagram, which would allow me to have the call signal trigger a strobe light or any bright light?
I'm assuming the intercom uses low voltage for it's little beeper, I have a 120v strobe light. I'm thinking I would need a relay? I been away from basic electronics for forty years, I know I could have did this back then without help! I don’t want to run wires from the house, so I need it to work off the intercom!
thanks for any leads or ideas you may have!

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Even if you use an DC to AC converter, the power of the battery inside the wireless device is not enough to power a strobe lamp. You will need to use an extra battery or power from the main.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
Hi, Old Chipper. I, too, like woodworking. I make wooden models without anyone elses's plans, just what I see.

As for your intercom/visual stobe, what is is you want? Bright light? You need to use the small voltage from your wireless intercom to trigger a large voltage. Use a power MOSFET.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Another option might be to order one or two of the ultra-bright LEDs. Some of them hurt my eyes to look at. The ones with built-in blinking only cost a few bucks each. 3 Volts or so is typical forward voltage.