Need your advices to my PIR sensor based project

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
I am going to do my final year electronic engineering degree's project using PIR sensors.
Here I am going to design a system to a car or any vehicle to protect the people from from accidents .
I place the PIR sensor in front of the car (buffer) and let's think car going along the road and when a human crossing the road PIR sensor detects the human and the stop the car immediately by powering on the break system automatically.
So is it possible to this project? I guess I can use a PIR sensors for this purpose or if there is a better component for this purpose please let me know.
What are the problems I may have to face when I doing this project?
I am waiting for your advices and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
It is a dangerous project, an unintended trip might cause a rear ender. There are after mkt. sensors that have a nice female voice telling you , " you are 4 ft, you are 3 ft, ".

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
haha man I can see it now; changing lanes on the interstate, pass over a road reflector, or get too close to a hot tailpipe and the brakes lock up - instant interstate pile-up. Seriously, you need something waaay more sophisticated than a PIR for this. We cannot discuss automotive modifications on this forum, but I would seriously discourage you from soliciting help on other forums, as this project is a very bad idea.

there is a point at which "idiot-proofing" enters the realm of idiocy - and this project is well past that point.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
How about a hunting/game camera.. When a deer/animal walks past you trigger a camera to take a picture. same fundamentals..but MUCH safer :)

A simple PIR sensor project doesn't seem advanced enough for a senior EE project though.. IMO

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Then what kind of project suitable for me to use such kind of sensor? Any suggestion?
If you want to distinguish a human from any other obstacle you would need much more sophisticated technology.

If you want to detect just an obstacle you could use ultrasonic range finders, they are already build into vehicles as a parking aid, but for short distances of course.

A sensor for a vehicle moving at high speed needs to detect the obstacle at a longer range, there it becomes more difficult.

PIR won't work because it detects movements, say, a difference in temperature/time. The PIR movement sensors for light switches for example can even be triggered by an air flow in front of it.

So I would say, PIR, forget about it.

The most obvious option is ultrasonic or video based sensors. The latter requires advanced programming skills.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Nope. I don't think such thing will suitable for the project. It will be too hard and time consuming. :(
It is NOT A MUST to deal with autos.
I know. I was kidding. Gesture recognition is an emerging technology.

So you want to use sensors for obstacle detection? How about a autonomous robot? If outside you could have it navigate itself from point A to point B, feeding it with GPS data, putting some obstacles in it's way.

Requires some programming to retrieve the data from an GPS module and includes motors and motor drives. I think it would be feasible.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I was thinking of setting up an array of PIR & ultrasonic transducers around my property. with ranging pretty well established, triangulation could work, and I could track animals through my property at night with no lights or night vision. you can have this idea for free. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get a bearing (direction) needed for the triangulation from the sensors.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
How about a range finding ultrasonic sensor? You could wave your palm towards and away from it, and based on that distance a uC could play a sci-fi, wah-wah sound of varying frequency.

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
My lecturers are recommending to use obstacles detecting sensors in the project. Therefore I think, I can get more marks if I not using audio/sound sensors.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Ultrasonic sensors detect distance, using roughly the same method bats use to navigate. They have nothing to do with sound sensing.

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
By the way, Any project idea which uses both bluetooth technology and obstacles detecting sensors?
One of my friend already proposed similar one to Georacer's idea as his project.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
how about a sacrificial dummy car (RC) to be outfitted with PIR sensors and bluetooth, and go out ahead of the real car and report road conditions in advance? That way the driver could know about wrecks over the top of a hill.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Strantor, I dread the time that would become an idea under development, let alone a college project.

Where will the driver focus on that case and who will drive the RC car?