Need wiring diagram for a 4 position rotary switch on a barrel fan

albertype

Joined Jul 17, 2019
Hi folks,
Looking for a wiring diagram for a simple rotary switch. Available wires are white, blue and black.
Thanks for any suggestions you might have...
(Saw the 3 speed post with the same switch, but being a a rank amateur, this didn't solve my quandary. I usually think of white as a ground so it didn't make sense to insert that into the switch. Wires came loose when some of the bolts fell off the box during storage)

Attachments

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I usually think of white as a ground so it didn't make sense to insert that into the switch.
If you are here in North America, get that though out of your mind. White is neutral not ground, by code. Ground is green, green with yellow stripe or bare.

When you say it is a "4 position switch", are you meaning; off, low, medium and high, as the 4 positions?

albertype

Joined Jul 17, 2019
If you are here in North America, get that though out of your mind. White is neutral not ground, by code. Ground is green, green with yellow stripe or bare.

When you say it is a "4 position switch", are you meaning; off, low, medium and high, as the 4 positions?
---
Thanks! Yes. I believe the L is off and then low, medium , high (L,1,2,3)

"L" would be line, then speeds 1, 2 and 3. That usually is a simple SP3T type of switch.
L gets switched to terminal 1, 2 or 3.

ceiling fans with a capacitor, would have 3 wires for 3 speeds. A common, 2 outputs together, then separate. It wires a dual capacitor call it C1 and C2 with a common as C1||C2, C2 and C1. C1||C1 is c1 in parallel with C2 is the highest capacitance and the highest speed.

Last edited: