Need to use 74HC14 IC, not 40106B

doug08

Joined Jan 30, 2011
Definitely aligned properly. Obviously the flashing speed does not match the voltage pulses at the clamp. I would say the pulses are too wide, causing the blurred effect.

doug08

Joined Jan 30, 2011
If I reduce the cap value from 6.8nF, to a 102 cap, then the line goes from being blurry and long to short and clearer, but the LED becomes dimmer in the process. I also have the problem that when the cap is lowered to make a clearer timing mark, the timing mark moves lower! How can I move the timing mark higher while keeping the timing mark better with the 102 cap? I tried varying the value of the 680K resistor. No joy.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
What is the part number of your LEDs? What is the maximum strobe rate?

What do you mean, "the timing mark moves lower"? The timing is what it is. If you want to change it, the circuit is not the place to do it. Have you heard the expression "Don't shoot the messenger"? The circuit is the messenger. The timing is the message, so to speak.

doug08

Joined Jan 30, 2011
When I changed the cap value and resistor value, the mark moved lower and it became clearer. I checked with another timing light to make sure I was not crazy. I do have good news though, I kept trying different values, and now it works. Your help was much appreciated!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Note that if you introduce a time delay between the trigger signal and the LED strobe your timing mark is going to move. If you are tuning a motor by touch & feel, sound & experience then the position of the timing mark is relative.

If you want an exact absolute timing setting according to engine specs then you have to keep the delay to a minimum.

solac

Joined Aug 13, 2015
hi sorry to dig up an old thread. i was thinking of making a timing light my self. and was wondering if i follow the schematics as posted here would it work? I have tried a diffrent schematic with just 1 led and the light was very dim and i couldn't get the timing mark.