Need to take 12v 1a step up to 12v 2a with only using the 12v power supply. Is this possible at all?

gourabroy

Joined Feb 10, 2020
I am trying to take a 12v 1a current input and get an output of 12v 2a. Ive seen all kinds of step up modules mut amperage depletes. I want to boost the amperage along with the voltage. Is this possible and if so, how? I am very new to this so please dumb your answers down for me.

I want to thank you ahead of time for taking your time to deal with an amateur for any assistance needed. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The relevant mathematical relationship you need to remember in formulating DC to DC conversion schemes is:

Power Out will always be less than Power In; sometimes it will be much less.

Lets take your example:
Power In = 12 Volts times 1 Ampere = 12 Watts
Power Out = 12 Volts times 2 Amperes = 24 Watts =><= Ooops...can't do this
The efficiency would be 24W/12W = 200%
Even 100% is not practical with real components, so fugeddaboudit

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Basically you cannot increase the power output of a supply (or power from any source) since that's a form of perpetual motion, and since power equals volts X amps, you can see why the answer is NO.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Actually, everyone here is making the assumption that you want 2A continuously from 1A in.

If you only need the the output 1/2 the time, it becomes theoretically possible and if you only need it 1/4 of the time it becomes easy.

It is not power that must be conserved, it is energy, which is power multiplied by time.

Thus an AA battery, which can maybe put out 3W continuously, can put hundreds of watts through a flash tube for a few milliseconds every 30 seconds or so.

Bob

Beau Schwabe

Joined Nov 7, 2019
As mentioned above this can't be done from a perspective of continuous operation.

What you can do is use that 12V 1A source to charge a battery. THEN at a later time use the charged battery at a higher current rate. You can't however do this in continuous operation. At some point you will need to recharge the battery.

EDIT: Bob beat me to it - essentially the same thought process:)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
@Beau Schwabe and @BobTPH, the TS implied, but did not explicitly state, that he wanted something that he could not find in the market: a device that could up the current for the same voltage. Holding the voltage constant while upping the current is not possible even for a short period of time, without stopping the operation of the circuit and doing something else with one of the components. I don't think that was what the TS had in mind.