Need to recognise something.

Lanz

Joined Oct 30, 2008
Guys i just found something under my car brake pump.
There is a small container like tank which hold brake fluid.
Under this tank,there is a coupler which hold two wires.
This coupler isn't connected to other coupler.
It just hanging just like that.
It makes me to think what for is that coupler?
Maybe its a sensor to monitor low level brake fluid?
Does anyone know what its function?

Lanz

Joined Oct 30, 2008
I think you are right about the sensor.
Does any sort of alarm is indicated from the meter.

Rifaa
No,the coupler is not connected to anything.
Its just hanging freely by itself.
Thats y i cant trace what its function.
Because my car is an old car,i dono what other owner did to the car b4 my dad bought it.
I think somebody or the mechanic had plugged it off.
There got two wires,how to check weather its a sensor or not?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U have to see where it goes, check whether any compatible connection is left out or not after that then only we can clarify.

Rifaa

millwood

Joined Dec 31, 1969
no it is n ot a brake detection sensor - that is typically a contact switch under the brake pedal.

it looks like a brake fluid level sensor: it detects if there is sufficient brake fluid level in the container.

if it is on the hydrolic side, it could also be an abs actuator - less likely given that it is an old car.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Is it below the master cylinder?

It may be connected to the porportioning valve. Vehicles made in the USA generally get about 66% of their braking from the front wheels, and 34% from the rear. Asian-made vehicles are more like 75% front, 25% rear. The porportioning valve has a spool-type valve inside of it. If the pressure in either the front brake system or the rear brake system is too low, the spool will move off-center and engage a switch, which turns on a BRAKE warning light on the dashboard.

Porportioning valves have one line going to the front brake system, one to the rear brake system, and one or two lines going to the master cylinder.

Lanz

Joined Oct 30, 2008
Could possibly be there to deactivate the cruise control (brake detect).
Im sure its not for cruise control bcoz my car is very old.

it looks like a brake fluid level sensor: it detects if there is sufficient brake fluid level in the container.

if it is on the hydrolic side, it could also be an abs actuator - less likely given that it is an old car.
No,its not for abs either bcoz the same reason of the car is old.

Is it below the master cylinder?

It may be connected to the porportioning valve. Vehicles made in the USA generally get about 66% of their braking from the front wheels, and 34% from the rear. Asian-made vehicles are more like 75% front, 25% rear. The porportioning valve has a spool-type valve inside of it. If the pressure in either the front brake system or the rear brake system is too low, the spool will move off-center and engage a switch, which turns on a BRAKE warning light on the dashboard.

Porportioning valves have one line going to the front brake system, one to the rear brake system, and one or two lines going to the master cylinder.
Not sure.I will post a picture later.

Lanz

Joined Oct 30, 2008

The arrow shows the cylinder if that what u meant sgtwookie.
But this pic is not from my car.From other car which has same cylinder.
Under the cylinder comes the wire.

Attachments

Rice

Joined Jul 9, 2009
Judging by the fact that it is not connected to anything, it is probably a brake fluid level sensor meant for another GM car that had the warning system. Yours may not have it, so it is not connected. This is a common practice to share components between models. This is why you see a lot of fuse holders empty in some cars for options that are not available or not installed.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That is the master cylinder. The connections should be to the low brake fluid detector, which is a float switch inside. Short the connector's pins with a length of wire and see is a dash indicator lights up warning of low brake fluid. Or the check engine light.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shorting this particular connector should do nothing. Shorting the mate to this connector, which the OP can't find, should light the warning light.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If that is the case, then low fluid presents a closed switch condition, and shorting the two exposed terminals is completely the equivalent condition.

Lanz

Joined Oct 30, 2008
That is the master cylinder. The connections should be to the low brake fluid detector, which is a float switch inside. Short the connector's pins with a length of wire and see is a dash indicator lights up warning of low brake fluid. Or the check engine light.
I had opened n checked the meter panel on the dashboard.There are only three indicator lights-handbrake,engine oil pressure n alternator.I have no idea weather this sensor is made to light or beep.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shorting this particular connector should do nothing. Shorting the mate to this connector, which the OP can't find, should light the warning light.
Yes you're correct.

Von

Joined Oct 29, 2008
no it is n ot a brake detection sensor - that is typically a contact switch under the brake pedal....
My brake detect for the CRUISE CONTROL is located at/under the master cylinder... in fact there was a massive recall (Ford F-150) for this switch/sensor/detector as it would/could somehow heat up and eventually cause a fire destroying the vehicle and garage if so kept.