Need to play racing games

sidk47

Joined Jul 1, 2013
Hi guys,

I bought a Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 steering wheel from USA. I live in India by the way. I'm not getting any force feedback whatsoever from the device. It uses a 20V 750mA DC output and a 110V AC input adapter which I was using with a converter that is meant to be used with hair dryers.

As a result I don't know if I blew out the circuit in the adapter or what. All I know is that I am not getting force feedback from the steering wheel and I suspect that it is not receiving any power.

I went to the local electronics store and asked for an adapter that could convert around 220V AC to 20V DC and 750mA. But they said no such product is in stock.

I would really like to play racing games with force feedback. I reckon I'll only get force feedback if I find a way to power the device to the spec listed. (20V 750mA center positive.)

Hence I request you knowledgeable electronics whiz kids to provide me with options that may include:

1. Getting a power supply that converts 220V AC to 110V AC. Even then, I don't know if the adapter is dead or not.

2. A simple power supply that converts 220V AC to 20V 750mA DC center positive.

I do have experience with a solder iron. But basically just a beginner.

Your advice on this issue would be most appreciated.

Thank you electronic wizards for your time and look forward to your inputs.
Siddharth.

sidk47

Joined Jul 1, 2013
Don't really know if it's a software problem. The game detected the presence of the steering wheel and told me it's a Thrustmaster Ferrari F430. It set up the steering wheel too according to a default preset. It is recognized fine in Windows 7, I think. It works fine. Every single button.

I measured the output using a digital multimeter. I put it into the 20V setting. DC. It told me .28 or .24 V. I don't know what that means. I would be most happy to get an explanation. I also put the 2000 micro AMP, DC setting. There was no AC setting for current in it. I would be glad to know why, the reading came out to be something like 0 or 0.001 or something.

Anyway, I would be glad if I could get your further inputs on this electronics wizards.

sidk47

Joined Jul 1, 2013
Just to clarify. The steering wheel works fine in every way. Except that there is no force feedback. It doesn't return to center. It doesn't have any feedback. I tried out my friend's thrustmaster. Another model, with no separate power but powered through USB. It worked great. There was force feedback. It kept on returning to center. It just doesn't happen with my steering wheel.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"I measured the output using a digital multimeter. I put it into the 20V setting. DC. It told me .28 or .24 V. I don't know what that means."

Try going to your next higher setting. Maybe 100V?

jbrols

Joined Jul 29, 2011
If it showed you 0.28 or 0.24 volts, then this power supply most likely is not working.
What is the voltage in your wall socket? 230V or other? If it is 230V and you pluggged in an adapter designed for 110V, then there should be a blown fuse at least or a burned adapter...

sidk47

Joined Jul 1, 2013
Yeah. Yeah, at 200V DC it showed me 0.2 if I remember correctly. Yeah I measured the wall voltage using 1000V AC and it showed up as 250V. It's possibly supposed to be 240V.

Yeah, maybe the adapter is gone. But I don't remember smoke coming from it or a burning smell or anything.

I was using it with a converter meant for heating equipment like toasters and hair dryers. I guess those were pretty cheap.

What do you guys think I should do? Should I buy some power supply that can give me 20V and 750mA and use that?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Should I buy some power supply that can give me 20V and 750mA and use that?
Just about every laptop power supply puts out ~19V and will be rated to well over that amperage. I think I'd try one of those. You might find one on its way to the dump.

If it shows you 0.28 or 0.24 volts, then this power is most likely not work properly.
In your wall outlet voltage is how much? 230V or other? If your adapter is 230V and 110V pluggged designed for, and then at least there should be a fuse or burned adapter

sidk47

Joined Jul 1, 2013
Wall voltage is supposed to be 240V but I measured 250V with a digital multimeter. I was using the adapter with one of them cheap converters that are meant for heating devices like toasters and hair dryers that run on 110V.

I don't know, the adapter doesn't seem like it has a fuse. Also there was no noticeable burning smell. Maybe I overlooked it.

Should I buy the product I mentioned in the link? Do you think that is a good idea?

It's amperage far exceeds my requirements. (3.5 A to 750mA) Are you sure that's not a problem and won't damage my steering wheel?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The capacity to provide a higher current is not a problem - your device will only draw what it needs. Just like a small bulb or a large wattage bulb plugged into the wall. Both are connected to an "infinite" supply but take only what they need.

The voltage is a little more of a concern. I think I'd be nervous that charger might supply 24V, which might be too high for your steering wheel. A single voltage supply would be safer, in my opinion. Can you borrow one from a friend with a laptop? It would be nice to test before you buy.

sidk47

Joined Jul 1, 2013
Hi wayneh,

I have requested more information about the charger. If there is a switch on it that can enable me to select between the voltages and choose 20V, then I don't think there will be a problem. I have requested more information in this regard from the seller and I am awaiting his response. Thanks for your help.

See you.

sidk47

Joined Jul 1, 2013
Hi, the seller told me there is a switch to select voltages on the device, and hence I am about to go ahead and place the order. Thanks all, I'll keep you updated when and if I get force feedback to work on my steering wheel.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Also many lap top PC power units output very close to 20 volt. Around 19.5. That will work just fine for you. You could ask your friends if they have something like this in the junk box. Any power supply in the range 19 to 21 volt will just do fine in your case

sidk47

Joined Jul 1, 2013
Hey guys, the adapter came and I'm glad to say that force feedback on my steering wheel is working fine now. Thank you all for your help.