Need to make a signal repeat - like a strobe light

electracode

Joined Feb 7, 2009
Hi - I have a midi foot controller that allows you to play a keyboard with your feet.

I use it for playing bass notes while playing guitar. In order to play 4 notes though, I have to step on the button 4 times.

I would like to hold the button down and have the signal be sent over and over.... much light a strobe light. I would also like to be able to set the speed at which it repeats (tempo). The controller works on 9 volts.

Thanks

Søren

Joined Sep 2, 2006
Hi,

The really clever way to do something like this, would be to tap it twice and keep your foot down the second time to get it to repeat the interval (until you lift your foot).

Nothing to adjust, no buttons to fiddle (and fail) with, just Plug'N'Play'N'Step'N'Stay
A very easy task for a cheap and tiny µcontroller.

electracode

Joined Feb 7, 2009
Thanks Soeren. While I am a computer programmer, setting up micro controllers is beyond me at this point.

Can you point to a good starter kit?

thanks again, Electracode

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Perhaps this page can help you with programming MIDI.
http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/doc.html

You could make a controller with a midi input that captures the midi signal and retransmittes the midi signal over a output channel.
Intermittend you can decide what to do with the signal, just pass or repeat the signal.

Greetings,
Bertus

Last edited:

Søren

Joined Sep 2, 2006
Hi,

Thanks Soeren. While I am a computer programmer, setting up micro controllers is beyond me at this point.

Can you point to a good starter kit?
Not the cheapest device, but the BASIC Stamp is probably an easy way to start and should be fine for something like what you intend to do.

A hundred bucks for this is expensive if you're never again gonna program a micro, but perhaps a cheap intro to the wicked world of microcontrollers and with a bread board for adding your own interface circuits, it's quite useable to learn µ-controllers.

It's programmed in its own dialect of BASIC and you should be able to make your first working program in a few hours.

If you intend to never again touch the subject, it would be better to get someone to program a controller and send you I guess.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
You could also try a PICAXE microcontroller: http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/
Free BASIC program editor, extensive free manuals, and only two resistors and a serial cable needed to program. 8-pin to 40-pin μC's starting at about $3.50US. Also, a very beginner friendly, but very experienced forum.

Their 8-pin PICAXE-08M at 4MHz should do what you need.

Ken

electracode

Joined Feb 7, 2009
Great info... thanks all.

Due to the amount of time involved, I think I would be willing to hire someone to do this task.

Do you guys know any guns-for-hire? I could gather all the parts and ship them out to make it as easy as possible for the programmer.

Electracode.