need to know how to hook up

sonicslayer

Joined Mar 12, 2012
i have a battery pack 4 aa, a led with built in resister, on off switch 3 pin and a power step up module, what i need is simple instructions on how to put it all together so that i can have an portable usb charger with an on/off switch and a led on indicator if anyone can help me please do. btw i have some solar panels that i can use to charge them if i can do it so that it will not over charge the batteries and mess them up the panels in full light gets 5v in low light about 3 if that helps thanks to any one that can help me

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The batteries, switch and converter will all go in series, one big loop so that current can flow around a complete circuit. The LED will be in parallel with the converter, so that it will light up under the same conditions that cause the converter to run. Note that the LED has a 'polarity' just like a battery and needs to be oriented the right way. If one lead is longer, that will be the "+" side that should be connected to the "+" end of the circuit. Go ahead and draw something and folks here will help you get it right.

sonicslayer

Joined Mar 12, 2012
i tried to post a pic but this forum want let me don't know y all i know is that from the battery pack the positive goes to the switch and after that before the module u put a blocking diode but other that i have no idea were the other stuff goes or if that is even right if im even close let me know thanks

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Doing this by words isn't going to work. I think it may be a little harder for a new member to post an image? But I think others do, so please keep trying.

You mentioned a blocking diode, so are you determined to use the solar panel? It will not be able to charge 4 cells in series. It will charge 2 in series, or 2 parallel pairs in series. But as a practical matter, unless it is fairly large, your results are going to be disappointing. What other details do you have about the panel? Even physical size can tell a lot.

Please also give details about your DC-DC converter. Lots of folks here play with those, but they can't guess what you might have.

In the meanwhile, Google "minty-boost" and take a look at that popular project.

sonicslayer

Joined Mar 12, 2012
i don't have to use the solar panel but the blocking diode is so that if since this is a usb charger say that im charging my ipod and the batteries get to low to charge like less then 3 v then the power in the ipod will not go back into it and start trying to charge the batteries in the holder btw i have looked at the project u have said to look at the only thing i don't know is how to put the switch in so that the led turns on and lets me know it is ready to charge

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Seems to me that the switch goes in series with the diode.

Meanwhile, there might be a rule against n00bies posting circuits...I don't know, but the procedure is thus:

Put the drawing, preferably in .png format, on your desktop.
Click on "Go Advanced"
Click on "Manage Attachments"
Click on "Browse"
A window will pop up and it should be listing what's on your desktop.
If it isn't, tell it to look on the desktop.
Click on the label of your drawing.
Click on "Open"
Click on "Upload"
Wait until the Browse window says it uploaded.
Resume typing if needed.
Click on "Submit Reply"
done.