Need To Identify Component

Big Gus

Joined Oct 17, 2013
The attached pics are from a Control Board in a Tanning Bed. I have previously repaired this type of board. Normally it is matter of replacing any one of the 18k ohm resistors. Well, on this particular board, none of the resistors tested bad. Below the array of resistors there is a series of LED (which were conspicuously not lit when there was power to the board).
I measured resistance across the "led" and they all read 11k ohms with the exception of #16 (see pic).
I am 20 years removed from component level troubleshooting. Reading 11k ohm confused me as I didnt expect that reading.

There are no identifying marks. I thought I was looking at passive LED now I am not sure. There are no schematics available so I am probing around testing components and trying to signal chase (power).

Sorry if I am babbling...any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Finding one that is different is definitely a clue. What did you observe, open or short?

Note that a diode - including an LED - will not conduct in either direction until a threshold voltage is met. Testing with an ohm meter is not terribly useful unless you find a short. Most meters have a diode test function but I'm not sure they can be used on LEDs. I'd be tempted to rig up a little power source (e.g. 9V battery plus a 470Ω resistor) to see if I could light up those LEDs.

Big Gus

Joined Oct 17, 2013
Thanks, I read an open when testing on the ohm setting. I actually just got home and brought a better meter. When testing on the diode setting, the led actually lights up (no external power source in use)

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Use the same diode test on the optocouplers (white things with 4 legs), one end will have 2 pins that connect to the optocoupler's internal LED.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In the first photo, there's a dark spot behind the resistors. Is that a shadow of something on the other side, or is it a sign of overheating?

Hey RB, what's with the new avatar? Guess I should look into getting one for myself.