Need to build an isolated DC-DC converter. Topology etc?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by TBJ, Nov 11, 2013.

  1. TBJ

    Thread Starter New Member

    Apr 9, 2012

    I need to build an isolated DC-DC converter for a project. It's going to be a one-off so my requirements are mainly ease of building and simplicity.


    - Low noise - it is going to be used in a class D amplifier
    - 12 volts in, 2 x 12 volts 1 amp out
    - Easy to wind transformer - not thousands of turns
    - Fully isolated output

    I know there are three topologies I should look at - flyback, push pull or forward. In layman's terms, what is the difference between these topologies and which one should I be looking at to suit my requirements?

  2. bountyhunter

    Well-Known Member

    Sep 7, 2009
    Reminds me of when National was getting ready to dump me after 20 years and my boss asked me to write down everything I knew.....

    FYI, Push-pull is a forward converter.

    Building DC-DC converters, designing the control loops, designing transformers, etc is not a topic which can be covered in a single forum thread. Lots of info on the net if you search.

    I still recommend you go to the TI website and research a simple switcher like the LM-2577 and let the computer design it and create a parts list.