Need timer and servo help

blangman

Joined Dec 30, 2009
I am working on a device that would incorporate a small led display that would control a servo motor to open and close a flap. It would need to work off a 9 volt power source or less. Space is also an issue and it would need to be as small as possible. I am new at this and have no idea where to start. I appreciate your input.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Welcome to the Forum!

Start by explaining,"in detail", exactly what you're trying to do. What are the dimensions in your space issue? What does the LED display have to do with the servo motor. Is the power supply battery or wall wart? The devil is in the details! ;)

Ken

blangman

Joined Dec 30, 2009
It would need to fit in a 3"x2" space. The whole idea is that this device can be set at certain times to open and close. The led display needs to show the current time and be used for setting the times for the opration of opening and closing a flap that is connected to a servo or stepper motor. It would have to be powered by battery.

blangman

Joined Dec 30, 2009
I would like to tell you all about it but it is something that I may be able to market. Believe me if this turns out to be something, I will take care of the people that help me. It will be used in the home with a regular 9 volt battery. The mechanics of this project are pretty simple. The electronic portion is my problem. Example: The consumer sets the desired time to open this flap and sets the time to close the flap.

Dalaran

Joined Dec 3, 2009
I think the uC portion here will be clearly be the hardest. Do you have experience with microcontrollers? If not, and you are serious about this task, it might be time to start reading.

Also how long you expect this to last is a big deal. A servo motor and PIC can eat up a little 9V battery pretty quickly. How often will it be used? How long will the servo be on for? etc. etc.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Another starting point
The mechanics of this project are pretty simple.
Have you picked "a servo or stepper motor" that will meet you physical space and torque requirements. LED displays are also power hogs. LCD are much better. As indicated, a μ-controller is the only to go, but you need to spec all the peripheral components/functions first.

Ken

blangman

Joined Dec 30, 2009
I picked up an Rc car steering servo motor. I soon realized that I am way over my head with this. I have a mechanical background but I lack in electronics. The motor would only need to move 1/2" to do the task. I am reluctant to give to much information out because my last idea found it's way into a sky mall catalog 10 years later.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We'll help you if you wish, but draw what you want to the best of your ability and put it up. The sign, for example. What kind of flap, how you want it to move, that sort of thing. It sounds simple enough, but it could be expensive (or not). Would a RC servo do the flap for example?

It was a watt meter that read kw usage to monitor the cost of appliances etc.
You designed a device like a Kill-A-Watt, did you actually build it or just had an idea? I recall seeing such devices in an old Elektor article had to be in the 1980s. I think many magazines have published similar designs.

As for your design what sort of battery life are you hoping for, a typical PP3 Alkaline 9V is only about 180mAh not much for moving a servo for long, plus the servo will need 6V max so you're going to waste more energy on a regulator.

Hell I've got scads of ideas that others have turned into products because I wasn't the only one with a similar idea.

blangman

Joined Dec 30, 2009
Blue:I just had the idea and met with a patent lawyer and never I followed through. It was probably 1993. Yes it was like the Kill-a-watt but it had more features. That's water under the bridge now. I'm following through with this one.