Need time delay circuit for flasher

DanW8KMX

Joined Oct 21, 2009
I wish to create a circuit that will alert a vehicle driver to continuing signal light flashing.

I have a "sounder" that, if I hook to the 12 VDC flasher (in an automobile), will sound each time the signal light flashes. That is great but I want a circuit that will wait about 1 minute before it begins to "sound."

Delay time is not critical, likely anywhere from 1-3 minutes will be OK. My thought was to create a RC time delay to trigger an SCR etc. etc. but I thought I would ask here first rather than starting from scratch. I am looking for a real simple circuit.

Thanks for reading and best regards.:)
Dan

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Have you thought about using a counter to count the number of flashes. A binary counter chip and a couple of gates could allow almost any amount of delay you wanted.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Dan, are you a Florida Senior citizen? You plan on having your turn signals on from 1 to 3 minutes?? We call that the "Eventual Left or Right". :D

Edit: Oops, I forgot about sitting at lights! They can easily reach that period of time.;)

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
From my Chevy Silverado manual "If your turn signal is left on for more than 3/4 of a mile
(1.2 km), a chime will sound at each flash of the
turn signal..." If you tie into the speed sensor and know how many pulses per mile it puts out, the counter idea would work great.

DanW8KMX

Joined Oct 21, 2009
Hello CDRIVE. Yes, I think I fit into that category (FLSC). I have a motorhome and sometimes (after I get the finger salute) I recognize that the flasher did not turn off after I made the turn. So, I figured this could not be brain surgery, so I decided to try and fix.

I am now looking for a a web page that will give me a basic schematic that I can modify and build (I am a fair technician but not a designer).

Thanks for reading to all you guys.

Dan:)

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Sometimes things aren't worth making if you can buy what you want at a cost damn near equal, or even cheaper than the parts will cost you. A classic example of this is my wife's old Jeep Wrangler. Back then the Wrangler did not provide intermittent windshield wipers. I was going to build it for her but JC. Whitney sold an import that was so cheap that I bought two of them. She still has the Jeep and it's still working after >20 years of getting hit by rain storms and 4 Hurricanes that blow rain under her bikini top.... The Jeep's! :D These tops only cover the cockpit.
Did you search the web? Also, if you want simplicity, then cascading two 556s' should work.

DanW8KMX

Joined Oct 21, 2009
Yes, I have checked the web as well as some information on this site however, I am just too stupid in this area, I am not sure what I am looking for.