Need suggestions for keeping out insects near computer. Like an USB powered electric fence.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
There are insects crawling onto the computer table, it irks me a lot, I want to know if the ultrasound pest control devices are effective in keeping them away

If not, can I make an electric fence which I install underneath the surface of the table which can usb powered, which might electrocute the insects if they try to crawl on to the table.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You might be better off using an insect trap that attracts them with a UV light source (not effective on mosquitos) than to install a dangerous high voltage generator where you could touch it, and where the concomitant RF and impulse noise is near your computer.

Also consider the noise and smell even if you were successful.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Consider this: A hand held bug zapper found in large quantities at Harbor Freight. Disassemble one. You now have two screens and an electronic package that works off of just two AA batteries. Grab an old cell phone charger (I wouldn't recommend USB from the computer - noise issues are possible) and use it in place of the batteries. The device will now charge a capacitor up to some higher voltage, but likely less than 300 volts. When a bug makes contact between the two plates (screens) they get the shock of their life. Being as tiny as they may be, it doesn't take much power to zap them. And since the capacitor inside the zapper can dump its current quickly, it'll explode the bug.

How harmful can it be? Well, I use one on rare occasion when I need to convince ferrel cats they don't want to come in my yard. I put out a bowl of food resting on an insulator resting on a wire mesh. The bowl is metal. With alligator clips I connect one wire to the bowl and the other to the mesh. When the cat smells food it approaches, steps on the mesh and sniffs the food. If they get close enough or lick the food they get a strong motivation to not return. Yes, they run away but they live to sniff another day. Just elsewhere.

I have a second one I use to light the fireplace.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
First, bugs love crumbs of food. Don't eat near your work tables. Next, bugs like the skin oils and even the skin dander (dry skin flakes you shed). Clean yourself and your work area regularly. Next, chemical insecticides around the foundation of your home is very effective at keeping crawling bugs out of your house. Ants typically need different insecticides than other insects, spiders, centipedes and worms.
Adding screens on your windows, filling cracks in your floors and foundations are all key to a bug free environment.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I suggest first thoroughly cleaning the area where the computer is located. Then, before putting the computer back, spraying the area with insect killer spray on the floor where the computer will be sitting, and for at least a foot in all directions around that area.
AND, NO, I do not have a lot of assorted bugs in the house. A moderate effort towards cleaning and never leaving any food spillage or crumbs around assures that there is nothing for them to eat.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I suggest first thoroughly cleaning the area where the computer is located. Then, before putting the computer back, spraying the area with insect killer spray on the floor where the computer will be sitting, and for at least a foot in all directions around that area.
AND, NO, I do not have a lot of assorted bugs in the house. A moderate effort towards cleaning and never leaving any food spillage or crumbs around assures that there is nothing for them to eat.
No bugs because I only drink at the computer desk.
1669486898189.png

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Here's the reverse engineered schematic of the bug zapper I mentioned. The only difference between the one below and the one I'm using is that mine is powered from a 5V Wall Wart. The information provided is all I can glean from the circuit and components.
1669566720929.png