Need someone that knows a lot about Cell Phone models or has kids 5-15.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I see these commercials for cell phones for older people with larger keys, Jitterbug,etc.. Now theres a controversy over how young should kids have cell phones. I think this is a big part of our kids growing up way to fast, especially since all the 12 and 13 year olds are getting iphones that are except for flash full computers. What about buying up an older style nokia brand thats overstocked and rewriting the rom to give the parents full control over the phone. GPS logging to the internet. Preprogrammed numbers they can call. 911 would automatically be usable. Text messages would be collected and emailed to the parent, ect... But specifically making a phone for 6-14 year olds while protecting them from the natures of the beast. Do you think this would be something sellable? It would be pretty easy to do just by cooking some flip phone roms. Then try to team with a carrier to give you a break on the bills since they would be added to parents accounts. No video or photo sending capability. But the camera's and vids would work locally.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Basically if your against kids having cells like I am,I think this option I would go ahead and get my kid one. Would you? If not what are your feelings about preteens with phones as is?

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
As I recall, something similar was done a while back. Don't really remember when I seen it. The phone basically had 3 or 4 programmable buttons for phone numbers the parent can put in and one preset for 911. It was just a phone with no extras. There may have been some GPS capability though I cannot say for sure.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
http://www.fireflymobile.com/
https://www.kajeet.com/

not to mention the multiple apps that allow parental controls,etc..

Of course I see NO reason that a kid cannot/should not have a phone. There are multiple options for limiting cellphone usage,etc.. Cellphones aren't the devil either..

If you can't trust your child with a cellphone at virtually any age then you suck/failed as a parent IMO.

Kids in the world today aren't the problem.. Its the parents (or lack of a parent)