Need some suggestions in a making an automatic cOunter

visworld

Joined Dec 20, 2009
Hi, I am new to the forum and a student of second yr of electronics engg in university of london. I am planning to make an object counter that can count objects as well as measure its length. So I was thinking of using image processing and then programming it in such a way that the object that passes the camera gets processed. Using matlab, i am planning to write a code that can find its length. I was just wondering if such a code can be implemented using matlab?
I will also set up a counter in matlab that will count the number of object it processes.
I would like to know if this is practically possible to implement, and if no, then please give some idea how to do it. I tried using an LDR, but it is not able to measure the length of the object accurately and coz of the daylight that interferes. Please give me some light.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If one moves an object at a constant rate, the duration of time that it blocks a light beam could be related to length. That assumes a uniformity of each object and the same orientation of every object.

visworld

Joined Dec 20, 2009
If one moves an object at a constant rate, the duration of time that it blocks a light beam could be related to length. That assumes a uniformity of each object and the same orientation of every object.
Oh my Daze!...lool...the same idea came in my mind after i wrote post1 :p...now m already implementing...so basically I will be making a conveyor belt using an AC motor. and i will place the nuts to it. At the end, i will place an optocoupler circuit wic will count and measure the time. So depending on the speed n time i will measure the length using micro controller 8051 and will connect LCD display to its output port. Hope it will work..init?
And I need a little suggestion on which microcontroller/processor will be appropriate for it, coz v havent studied it in uni yet. We have it in the coming semester. I have only studied 8085 n 8051 on my own. So dont know about others.

visworld

Joined Dec 20, 2009
sorry a slight modification. i was told by my UNI that I cannot use a microcontroller (have to use microprocessor) and I have to upload it on the internet as well. So I think i need to use a microprocessor that can be interfaced with Visual Basic. can u give me some suggestions please. Thanks in advance.