Need some help getting started(again) Compass for car

VooDooCC

Joined Aug 28, 2009
I'll start off by saying that I did go to school for electronics a few years back, but primarily I dealt with PLC's and wiring, not so much engineering.
I recently became disable and had to get rid of my car for a truck that doesn't have a couple features that I'm used to, and want to put them into this one. For now, I'll just focus on the compass and do the others later.
I never got into microcontrollers and am not sure if I want to buy the programming software equipment. Unless it'd be more cost effective than buying a bunch of IC's
With that being said, I found a good schematic for the compass, but have 2 issues on that: 1)How to drop the voltage down from car supply (12-14) down to a usable 5 without causing huge heat concerns. 2)How to get the output to go from being 4 LEDs to 2 15 segment displays (N,S,E,W;NE,NW,SE,SW)

Thanx,
Justin

Gaspode42

Joined Aug 10, 2009
Justin

Could you please post a link to the schematic and then we may be able to help you more.
For part 1 look up switching regulators, for part 2 we need the schematic.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Are you wanting a 2 digit LED numberical display version, like a lot of cars currently use?

N NE E SE S SW W NW

VooDooCC

Joined Aug 28, 2009
Bill Marsden, that is correct.

I wouldn't mind having the degree readout as well, so I'm probably going to end up springing for the hm55b that hgmjr linked to. It's a little more money, but looks like it'd be more reliable and precise.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
For a simple 8 position indicator it probably is overkill, but it does look simple. Wonder what the interfacing is going to be like.

VooDooCC

Joined Aug 28, 2009
Overkill is good though :)
I have 4 of them, and space isn't a concern, so I thought I should finally put one to use. Plus I can use it for the other things I'm wanting to do later on: clock, temperature and I'm sure I'll come up with more later