Need simple help with setting up christmas lights to flash with speakers!

Dorbear

Joined Nov 21, 2011
Hello, I have been working on this project and I set everything up as seen in the schematics and my result is that the lights connected only turn on an don't flicker. Even when speakers are disconnected, nothing changes, just solid glow.

I am not using an exit sign like in the schematics, but instead using a D2W203F solid state relay, and trying to use a (middle) speaker from a surround sound stereo system.

Here is the link to the schematics:
http://ericch.com/

I would deeply appreciate anyones assistance,

Thank you

Dorbear

Joined Nov 21, 2011
i appreciate the response. an apoligies for my lack of knowlege, but are you suggesting i place resistors in the circuit?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Even when speakers are disconnected, nothing changes, just solid glow.
Have a look at the datasheet. It says "must off voltage" is less than 1V. That means with no speaker connected it should be OFF. However it also says it has max. 8mArms leakage current at the output. So depending on what you connected it could be that the lights stay always on... (load current range is 60mA to 2A)

What EXACTLY did you connect at the output?

Btw, this SSR is controlled by voltage, not by current, so I assume it already has a built-in resistor. "Must-turn ON" voltage is 3V.
If you have a power supply or some batteries at hand do the following test:
Connect a load that draws more current, let's say 200mA and try to activate/deactivate the SSR with a voltage higher than 3V at the input.

Dorbear

Joined Nov 21, 2011
Here is actually a more accurate setup of exactly what i am doing, maybe it will help you help me?

If you have the time please look at point 2:58 in the video and pause it, it shows pretty much the exact same setup i have, except im using a surround sound speaker and not an old computer one that plugs into a wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrRczbPg9yg&feature=relmfu

If you look at the diagram and relate it back to my situation, the two wires that go from the speaker seem to have no apparent effects on the circuit, and I am using a strand of 70 LED christmas lights.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I understand perfectly what you are doing, even without the video. :D

Now with the information that you have a 70 LED christmas light connected, all the LED's are lit and the loudspeaker wires have no effect on LED behaviour I would say your solid state relay is defective.

If you want to recheck your wiring and instead of the loudspeaker wires connect two or three AAA batteries (in series, that gives you 3V to 4.5V) to the + and - control input of the SSR (where the loudspeaker wires are supposed to be).

With battery - lights should be ON
Without battery - lights should be OFF

If you have a multimeter you could also check the resistance on the two SSR terminals - with the power cord UNPLUGGED of course.

Dorbear

Joined Nov 21, 2011
Thank you so much I will get back to this thread once i find results, again, thank you i appreciate your help very much