Need Sensor Detect Water drop in front of Sensor

mpcotuong

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Hi All,

I am looking around of sensor detect once water drop in front of the sensor. I have looked around but not see any where. I am thinking to ask the expert here. Please let me know, if you know the Sensor device detect water drop.

Thanks,
Kevin

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
How constrained is this drop?
Will it always fall thru a given point?
How big is this drop?
What liquid is it?
Can you sense it on the bottom once it hits a large sensor or do you need to detect it in the air?

mpcotuong

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Hi All,

I am in california.

The water drop as you drop down from the cup. I need detect once water drop down. I have the sensor detect the object but not water drop. If you know any sensor can detect water drop, please point it to me.

Thanks, so much

Kevin

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That IRLED and phototransistor combo was good enough to catch water drops falling at around 95 MPH. They worked nicely spaced about 8" apart. Mount them in drilled holes for collimation.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Hi All,

I am in california.

The water drop as you drop down from the cup. I need detect once water drop down. I have the sensor detect the object but not water drop. If you know any sensor can detect water drop, please point it to me.

Thanks, so much

Kevin
sounds like you want to buy an off-the-shelf water droplet sensor. If you have money to spend on such a product, call Banner Engineering (1-888-3-SENSOR ). They sell just about every kind of sensor there is. If this is a low-budget experiment/project, I recommend what beenthere suggested

mpcotuong

Joined Aug 26, 2010
I thought you have experience for sugguest on this Sensor. I was searched on Goodle but none of them work for water drop in front of the Sensor.

Thanks,
Kevin

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I thought you have experience for sugguest on this Sensor. I was searched on Goodle but none of them work for water drop in front of the Sensor.

Thanks,
Kevin
Did you try googling "IRLED" and "phototransistor"?

Or how about the specific part names on the page: Infrared Emitting Diode (L53F3BT) and T-1-3/4 Infrared Phototransistor (L51P3C)?

Here, I will walk you through how I found these parts:

1. Google "L53F3BT"

2. click result #7
Why #7? becuase 1-6 are all b.s. datasheet websites and # is from Mouser, a well-known electronics supplier.

3. I see here the part is indeed obsolete as you have stated, so I jot down the specs:
Infrared Emitters 940nm 30 DEGREE BLUE TRANSPARENT

4. I see that this product is listed under "All Products » Optoelectronics » Infrared Data Communications » Infrared Emitters » L53F3BT",
so I click on "infared emitters" and am taken to a product selection table.

5. In the product selection table I check "Wavelength = 940nm" and "Beam Angle = 30 deg" and hit "Apply filters"

6. I click the 2nd result because it is the first one with a picture and I see that it is the same pretty blue color.

7. I sit back in awe as I stare at an identical, non-obsolete product. OMG BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE INTERNET!

8. After regathering my composure, I decide to try searching the 2nd part number here at mouser since I'm already here. I find that it also is obsolete, so I search for it's description: "T1-3/4 PHOTO XISTOR"

9. that doesn't give me any results so I search for "T1-3/4 ir PHOTOtransISTOR" and click the 2nd product since it's the first one with a pic.

10. This product doesn't specify "Infared" so I check the datasheet. Datasheet says 880nm. I don't know what wavelength IR is, so...

11. I google "wavelength of IR", find it in the first result, wikipedia, it's 700nm-3000mm, and our IR LED is 940nm, so I keep looking (I learned something new here helping you, so thank you for that at least)

12. I go back to my phototransistor search page and start clicking on all the products in the list, checking their datasheets for wavelength response until I encounter result #7 - 940nm!!!!!! EXACTLY WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!! same packagage, same dimensions, same wavelength, same everything, another exact match! How can I get so lucky twice in 1 day?

13. I come back and write all this down for you.

I will not give you links or part #s, you will have to follow the instructions if you want them. You have officially be taught how to google your own parts so please never fain incompetence or ask anyone else to do it for you again. It's not that hard.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You have just been taught how to "google" by a GooMaster.

A "thank you" in reply would now be appropriate.

Of course, that will never happen. These ESL types either say thanks to every post in their thread or they INSIST on you giving them EXACTLY what they ask for and have no intention of actually doing any work for themselves. Even when you tell them how to do it.

That means Engrish as a Second Language, and yes that misspelling is intentional
:)

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Only that you didn't assemble them into a working unit and use your own money to have them delivered to his doorstep... but other than that; no.

mpcotuong

Joined Aug 26, 2010
Thanks, All. That part is detect too small won't work for my project. I need it detect within 15 inches. Sorry for not mention in first question. If you know the complete sensor, please let me know.

Kevin

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Was there a problem with the parts in post #4?
Post #9 he said they were discontinued. The site says they are in stock, but I didn't try ordering any. Maybe he did, and they were out, who knows. More likely is he's not in california and unable to order from the site you suggested. Mouser showed them as obsolete