Need recommendation for USB to RS232 adapter

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I have had a few el cheapo ($15 or so) USB to RS-232 adapters. One of them worked for a 3 month stint, then I didn't use it for a year or so. When I went to use it again, it was dead. I bought another of about the same type; both Sabrent brand. Alas, I am very disappointed with the second one, as I have pretty good evidence that it results in data corruption. The evidence was gotten by downloading a DC waveform to an arbitrary waveform generator; it happened with two independent software tools. The same thing doesn't happen downloading to the same instrument over a GPIB bus.

Thus, I am looking for recommendations from folks for a high quality USB to RS232 adapter. I'd like to get an industrial quality unit that will last years, not the cheap junk again. I'd prefer hearing about a model/brand that you've seen working in a demanding environment for years.

Any suggestions? Since I have to pay for this out of my own pocket, I won't drop a kilobuck on it, but I wouldn't shy away from the $50-$150 range.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I have had the same problem. I had an oscilloscope that I was trying to use the rs-232 output to a PC. And the resulting PC side was incorrectly transmitted. While googling about the problem, I cam across a velleman forum about one of there programmers that could not use a usb to rs-232 adapter. The velleman guys kept saying "this WILL NOT work with a USB to RS-232 adapter". There was a fellow that said he isn't having a problem using his with the adapter. He said he bought his on Amazon. So I figured, what the heck.. I was interested, at the time, of getting into PIC programming as well, so I went on Amazon and purchased the programmer (8048) and the usb to rs-232 adapter that he recommended.

Well It works. And it does NOT work with my two other converters.

It is cheap, so I would say give it a whirl:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006LSIOI/ref=oss_product