Need piggy back controller for gate opener

shoalsgary

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I've been through six Mighty Mule gate openers in six years because the tiny relays that provide power to the actuators can't handle the current draw. The relay provides 12vdc to open and reverses the 12vdc to close. want to piggy back off of the relay output to a circuit supplied directly by the battery with relays or solid state devices that can better handle the high current load of the actuators. My electronics training was in the army in 1962 and I've been out of the field ever since, so I'm not only stale but am from the tube era.
Any suggestions?

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I've been through six Mighty Mule gate openers in six years because the tiny relays that provide power to the actuators can't handle the current draw. The relay provides 12vdc to open and reverses the 12vdc to close. want to piggy back off of the relay output to a circuit supplied directly by the battery with relays or solid state devices that can better handle the high current load of the actuators. My electronics training was in the army in 1962 and I've been out of the field ever since, so I'm not only stale but am from the tube era.
Any suggestions?
Are the relays replacable? Can you change them for relays with a higher rating? Are they soldered to the circuit board?
Do you have some sort of schematic to show us what you have.
Is the controller undersized for the gates?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
There are several models of Mighty Mule openers. Which one do you have?

The installation manuals are fairly detailed, but I didn't find a schematic. With one, it should be possible to do as Gerty says and substitute a better relay.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007

The installation manuals are fairly detailed, but I didn't find a schematic. With one, it should be possible to do as Gerty says and substitute a better relay.
Or have the original relay turn on a larger/higher capacity relay.

shoalsgary

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Are the relays replacable? Can you change them for relays with a higher rating? Are they soldered to the circuit board?
Do you have some sort of schematic to show us what you have.
Is the controller undersized for the gates?
Mighty Mules are a racket. The relays are undersized, but the controllers are rated for 500 pound gates! No schematic, and they sell replacement boards for what you can buy an entire controller for online. The relay is soldered to the circuit board and is tiny.

shoalsgary

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Or have the original relay turn on a larger/higher capacity relay.
Been working on that but it presents a safety issue. The board senses a blockage and reverses. If I use external relays the difficulty would be incorporating a sensing circuit in the external relays.

shoalsgary

Joined Jun 5, 2013

Mighty mule 350. newer style with slower actuator.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
If you have replaced the control boards several times, you must have some that you can experiment with? Can you post a closeup picture of the board with the relay identified? Post the back side of the board as well.

How does the board sense a blockage?