Need Opinions/Suggestions...

mash835

Joined Jan 4, 2008
Hi,
I am new here with little knowledge on electronics and looking for some help and opinions.
On my car the fog lights only comes on when the headlights are switched on according to the schematic below. I modified it so that fog lights can be switched on any time by adding extra power source, relay and capacitor. The fog light relay will be triggered by the extra power source when headlight are off, and by headlights return wire when they are on. I added the capacitor to prevent flickering caused by the extra relay triggering delay. The extra power wire is tapped to power outlet fuse.

What do you think? Is it going to work?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
In your "modified" section, you don't need all of the complexity on the left side.

I suggest that you connect the + side of the fog lamp relay's coil to your "Ignition" circuit, so that you don't accidentally leave your fog lights on when the engine is turned off.

mash835

Joined Jan 4, 2008
In your "modified" section, you don't need all of the complexity on the left side.

I suggest that you connect the + side of the fog lamp relay's coil to your "Ignition" circuit, so that you don't accidentally leave your fog lights on when the engine is turned off.
I know it is more complex now. My first attempt was just connect the extra power source (tapped to the fuse) to the coil of the fog light relay and leave the return wire from headlights unused, but I noticed the car battery life dropped. So I thought I should reuse the return wire from headlights in the circuit again.

BTW, the wire tapped to power outlet fuse is only positive when the car is started.