Need LM3915 help!!!

monkeymizfit

Joined Dec 5, 2010
I am looking for a very simple mono vu meter with 1 row of at least 20 LEDs. I am using a LM3915 and this simple diagram:

http://www.circuitsonline.net/schakelingen/59/audio/led-vu-meter.html

It works great with a headphone input, but I added a second and I can't get them to work together. It is driving me crazy! Any way I wire it they both work independently. Some tutorials say you can link pin 4 on the first chip to pin 6 on the next, but that doesn't work. Please email me if anyone has a simple solution to this problem or a different route completely.
Thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Audioguru posted such a circuit awhile back. If I remember correctly, his was designed to work with line-level input signals.

There is more to cascading the LM3915 then there is to cascading the LM3914; you have to set the voltage for the RHI and RLOW for the point where the two drivers interconnect, otherwise the response will not be logarithmic.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The datasheet for the LM3915 shows that the low level one uses an opamp with a gain of 30dB to feed its input. Then the second one operates at normal input levels.