Need laser level advice!

Discussion in 'Test & Measurement Forum' started by AdamClap, Jul 11, 2018.

1. AdamClap

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Hi guys!
    I'm going to construct the swimming pool on the backside of my courtyard. So I found that I need some laser level for measurements here. Also, I plan to use it in some small in-house tasks too. I've tried to study the market, but there is a bunch of them and I can't decide which one to choose. May some of you share your experience with them? My estimated budget is near $500-600.
    Thanks in advance for the tips!

2. jpanhalt

Expert

Jan 18, 2008
    I have a Leica Lino L2 w/stand. It has worked well for small projects around the home and barn. One thing to consider is whether you will be doing the site survey by yourself or with help. With help, almost anything should be OK, including that Leica. It does have limited range.

By yourself, I would want one that I could set up in a convenient spot and get audible readings around the entire area involved. I don't know what that is called specifically, but we had one to use while doing a survey for a replacement culvert (40' plus approach and drain areas), and it was much easier to do that way than with something like the Leica. That is not to say it couldn't be done with the Leica, it was just a lot easier. Of course, my Leica was probably a fraction of the cost of the professional unit too.

3. oz93666

Sep 7, 2010
    Ridiculous price ... no need for a laser level for a swimming pool . Quiet sufficient to use a water level ....and less prone to errors , a laser depends on accurately leveling the base on which the laser pivots , you can never do this perfectly , a water level is idiot proof...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Just buy 25 meters of plastic tube , fill with water ,make sure no air bubbles , this is way accurate enough ...

Don't believe all advice from professional builders , I should know , I am one ...

As for inside jobs absolutely no need for a laser ..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. AdamClap

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I'm also planning to use it in further measurement tasks and probably lease. So I find better to spend once a solid sum and get a quality, modern product for a long time usage. I have found a few articles with reviews of them here: http://www.toptenreviews.com/home/tools/best-laser-line-levels/, https://wisepick.org/best-rotary-laser-level/, https://www.hilti.com/content/hilti/W1/US/en/services/power-tools/measuring-tools/laser-level.html and if anybody has been experienced with some of the listed above, I will be glad to hear some bits of advice before making a decision! Currently I'm aimed to order something from dewalt, their equipment tools look cool and attractive!

5. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    You can get something basic for almost pocket change. A local discount stores had fairly sophisticated one in a few months ago, can't remember the price but it was vaguely affordable. Its the sort of thing that gets used a few times and put aside till the battery corrodes - no way I'd spend the sort of money you mentioned.

oz93666 likes this.