Need Help

hooperdoski

Joined Feb 14, 2011
I had to tear apart a 12 volt DC motor on my motor home. When I did the brush plate (plate that holds brushes) flew out and all the brushes were pulled out of their holder.

Because of this I need to know which brush holder holds which brush. Attached is a picture of the brush plate with the little brush holders and springs installed. As you can see, the brush holders are not equally spaced. I'm pretty certain the positive and negative brushes go to the brush holders just like I show the in the picture, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know which brush holder gets which brush?

In the picture I've attached I added text to identify the brush plate and brush holder because I'm not sure they are the correct names for those two things.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
The length and shape of the shunts (the wires attached to the brushes) should give you a very good indication as to how the brushes install into the brush holders.

hooperdoski

Joined Feb 14, 2011
Bill, I actually took a good hard look at it and surmised just what you said. Now the thing I hate .... Getting the brushes on the commutator.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.