Need help with wireless sensor ideas

mudbug

Joined Mar 12, 2010
I have a simple sensor that I have been using to detect when a steel target has been hit. When the target is hit it causes a camera flash to activate.

The problem is that it's a wired sensor, and it seems that no matter where I run the wire, it eventually gets hit.

So I want to make it wireless.

I have done some research and everything I've found has been has been more complicated than I think it needs to be.

What I want is a simple RF relay circuit like a garage door opener uses. But not the new kind with the rolling code generation stuff, the old kind with the dip switches so that I can match each sensor to a separate receiver.

I've searched for schematics to get and idea with no luck. I opened my remote for my garage door and found some kind of proprietary chip that I can't find a data sheet for.

Any ideas?

mudbug

Joined Mar 12, 2010
I'll try to get a pic tomorrow but it's pretty simple right now.

Just a basic old fashioned car motion sensor. The signal line runs to a 3904 transistor which then activates a relay which sets off the flash.

It works well, it's simple, and the motion sensors were cheap because they old fashioned (simple post on one end and a cup on a spring on the other. When the post hits the cup I get a signal), and I use the cheapest slave flash units I can find.

I'm working not on a new sensor for the wireless units that uses a piezo shock sensor.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
the spring type sensor uses a magnet suspended by a spring, when the spring vibrates to a shock and the hall sensor near it produces the pulse and the transistor amplifiers it.
it can be adjusted to any sensitivity.

what do you like to do with it, give me a little more detail

mudbug

Joined Mar 12, 2010
The sensor isn't really the problem, I'm looking for a very simple RF relay idea like what is in the older garage door openers, dip switches and everything.

It's really very simple but all the RF stuff I'm finding is overly complicated. I just need to transfer Off or On and be able to code them with the dip switches the same way the garage door openers do so that each sensor is tied to a specific rx flash unit.

EDIT, oh, I think I misunderstood your question. You are asking me what the whole thing is used for.

I shoot long range competition, and we shoot at steel targets.

The sensor is attached to the back of the steel target and when hit it sends a signal to the receiver box which sets off a camera flash so that it's visible from a long distance.