Need help with Soldering iron

SwMuBl

Joined Dec 10, 2013
I'm looking for an adjustable soldering station and iron that has the shortest tip possible. I've been researching for days and the Pace TD-100 is the shortest I can find.

Even after finding that I think I would like shorter.

The distance I am referring to is where the grip ends and the stalk of the heating element/tip begin to the end of the tip.

Thanks for all the help.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
May not be relevant but I've been very happy with my cheapo soldering station. You can get it on sale for something like $12. I don't think the tip holder is especially short, but at least you can get a range of tips for it. I use the finest tip for nearly 100% of my usage.

SwMuBl

Joined Dec 10, 2013
Good idea, and seems like a cheap route. How does the actual iron hold up while changing tips and such? Is it pretty secure and sturdy?

I've been using the X-Tronic 4010 but I use the soldering iron for 4+ hours a day so I wouldn't mind something of good quality or on the more expensive side. The X-Tronic is probably good for casual use but I keep breaking the actual irons because I have to change tips quite frequently...

SwMuBl

Joined Dec 10, 2013
Looks like the Metcal is a great option, thanks. Do you know if the tips interchange easily and where to get them.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I wonder why you need a short tip?
"vaporizer" maybe?

I just can't think of a proper situation where the shortness of the tip would ever be a benefit.. Longer sure but shorter?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
More control .. better comfort thinner and sleeker design ... less thermal mass to heat
besides "sales/marketing" garbage..

less thermal mass..ok maybe but I don't think that any of those are the reasons the OP is asking this question in the first place..

He mentioned having to replace the tips all the time.. and thats far more related to proper care than anything else..

We've got a bunch of Hakko FX-888 models around here.. They are plenty "short"

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Back when I was TIG welding, I always thought that the 1/8" Thoriated Tungsten electrode, would make a dandy soldering tip.......but how to heat it consistently.?:confused:
And, to make it adjustable?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
besides "sales/marketing" garbage..

less thermal mass..ok maybe but I don't think that any of those are the reasons the OP is asking this question in the first place..

He mentioned having to replace the tips all the time.. and thats far more related to proper care than anything else..

We've got a bunch of Hakko FX-888 models around here.. They are plenty "short"
Lets try this...
Take a pencil and write your name with your fingers 6" away from the tip and now try it 3" away and see what happens ..Have you ever take a look at Metcal or JBC irons ??? The handle is very small and thin and the element is really close to the grip...
Have you ever use a short iron before ??? I would love a Fx-888 but I use a busted up hakko 939 that works good ..

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
if variable heat is all your looking for, use a light dimmer, the kind used on the wall of your house to dim lights. they are rated for 500 to 1000 watts. put it in a small box with a receptical for your favorite iron, and off you go. most solder stations without temprature readouts are basicly just this.
cliff

SwMuBl

Joined Dec 10, 2013
More control .. better comfort thinner and sleeker design ... less thermal mass to heat
More control is precisely why. Like I mentioned, I don't use a soldering iron for soldering. I have to replace tips a lot because of constantly putting pressure on them. Also with the longer tips, I tweak my hand in an uncomfortable position. With a shorter tip I would be able to use a different method.