need help with older project!

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Hi Again,
once again I am tryin to diy the timers that Bill Marsden and others helped me with last year (last Post)http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=281440&postcount=27 but this time I am trying to build a PCB for the project because I have several to do. the above mentioned post was the last and worked great but I am trying to eliminate all the hard wiring by making PCBs. Can someone help my computer is on the fritz and I'm using a diiff. one to post this. Thanks Jim (Still a newbie:rolleyes:)

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Jim,

Okay, you can either create your own custom PCB or use a commonly available prototyping board. Since you're not making hundreds, I'd opt for the latter. To that end, I've created a drawing showing you how to wire your circuit with a prototyping board available from either RadioShack or Electronix Express (www.elexp.com).

If you already have all your parts, the RadioShack board is a little better since it has five holes per section on the vertical power bus lines as opposed to the three holes per section on the elexp version. Either board will give you enough space to cut it in half or thirds allowing you to get 2 or 3 complete circuits per board. To cut, use an X-acto knife and score it a few times then carefully bend it until it breaks (clean way) or use a hack or coping saw (less clean, same results).

If you don't have all of your parts, you should be able to order them all from Electronix Express which should be cheaper than gettting them all from RadioShack, even with shipping. You can use a simple slider switch and mount it directly to the board, such as elexp P/N: 17SLDH251 which has leads spaced to fit these boards. You may have to Dremel, cut or sand away one or more of the copper traces to make it work on the board. SW1 in my drawing is the switch, but it may not mount exactly as shown.

I don't know how big the Sonalert is - in the drawing I sized it as a 5mm LED. If you are going to mount the LEDs and/or Sonalert to a panel, box, etc., you can simply wire the leads from the board instead of mounting them directly to the board. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

Attachments

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Jim,

I just re-read your original post. I thought you said you only needed 8, but you actually said you already made that many - so if you are making hundreds, then a custom PCB is the way to go. There have been many posts about designing your own PCB, good PCB vendors, software, etc. - just do a search on this forum.