Need help with function generator output

runningrage

Joined Apr 14, 2010
I having problem getting NPN transistor to turn-on with
GF-8046 function generator i don't know why i can't get the transistor to turn on. I check the voltage and current output im getting voltage reading but no current at all. Do you have to use something before the transistor base to turn it on. If anyone can help here with advice on how to turn on transistor with funciton generator

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
"Do you have to use something before the transistor base to turn it on. "

Yes, a base resistor, to limit the current through the B-E junction. Since you are now getting no current, you probably blew the junction open. Do an Ohmmeter check between the base and emitter. If it's OK, you will get a reading with + to base and - to emitter.

Ken

And, I'm assuming you are not using a bipolar (AC) output. If you are you will need a diode in series with the base resistor.

Last edited:

runningrage

Joined Apr 14, 2010
"Do you have to use something before the transistor base to turn it on. "

Yes, a base resistor, to limit the current through the B-E junction. Since you are now getting no current, you probably blew the junction open. Do an Ohmmeter check between the base and emitter. If it's OK, you will get a reading with + to base and - to emitter.

Ken

And, I'm assuming you are not using a bipolar (AC) output. If you are you will need a diode in series with the base resistor.
What ohm resister do i need and what is bipolar AC output is that bisaing between NPN & PNP

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
The resistor value depends on the output voltage you are getting from the function generator, the transistor you are using, and the collector load resistance.

Bipolar output means the the polarity, with respect to ground (common), reverses every half cycle. Where do you have the "FUNCTION" switch set?

ken

runningrage

Joined Apr 14, 2010
If the transistor is work good i should get a resistance measurement of what ,and if the transistor is bad i should get 0 ohm resistance between base and emitter

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
If the transistor is bad you will get an ∞ Ω (open) or a reading at or near 0Ω (short). The resistance reading for a good transistor will vary, depending on the meter, ~1-5MΩ on my digital meters. The newer meters have a "diode" position on the resistance scale. This will show the forward voltage drop of the B-E junction (0.6-1.2V) in one direction and an open in the other.

Ken

runningrage

Joined Apr 14, 2010
I don't have ossocillscope yet but i understand what you mean by function generator set the DC offset. How to you prevent the B-E terminal of transistor from being damage was it the voltage the damage it. Can please send reliable schmatic that would work get great for drive 3 ohm coil or would schmatic work i found here on this forum "Below"

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/album.php?albumid=26&pictureid=411

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
was it the voltage the damage it
No it was the current. With no current limiting resistor between the base and the function generator, the junction looked almost like a short to the generator. It supplied all the current it could, and was more than the transistor could handle.
So you want to drive a 3Ω speaker with a single transistor amp? What's the power supply voltage to the transistor? What transistor are you using?

I think you're at the point where you need to do a little studying on the operation of transistors. Take a look through the eBook tutorials in the tabs at the top of this forum.

Ken

runningrage

Joined Apr 14, 2010
I need to study transistor on technical understanding thank for the advice where is the ebook is it spell ebook or something elsa

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Sorry about not being specific. Scroll to the top of the screen. There are 8 blue tabs labled: VOL. I DC...VOL. II AC...VOL. III Semiconductors....... You will find the tutorials by clicking on these tabs.

Ken