need help with frequency spectrum of triangle wave

ronybhai

Joined Sep 18, 2012
Calculate Vout (f0) , Vout (3f0), Vout(5f0), and Vout(7f0) of the frequency spectrum of a triangle wave shown below (A = 10 V and T = 1 ms) passed through a low-pass R-C filter (R = 10 kΩ and C =5 nF).

I need to sketch the input and output waveforms resulting from the first 4 harmonics (for simplicity ignore the phase shift experienced by each harmonic)

Thanks for taking the time to help. Really appreciate
it.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How about the whole, "then post your thoughts and efforts" part?

I don't see any indication of any effort whatsoever.

Item 3 in the sticky says to include:

> A description of your homeworks objectives.
> The problems you’ve identified.
> The steps you have taken to date, to overcome the problem; including any research and work your have already undertaken.

You provided the first. Where are the second and third?

Without this information, how are we to have any kind of a clue as to whether your problem has to due with understanding what harmonics are, or what the harmonics of a triangle wave are, or what the power spectrum of each harmonic is, or something else entirely? We are NOT mind readers!

ronybhai

Joined Sep 18, 2012
How about the whole, "then post your thoughts and efforts" part?

I don't see any indication of any effort whatsoever.

Item 3 in the sticky says to include:

> A description of your homeworks objectives.
> The problems you’ve identified.
> The steps you have taken to date, to overcome the problem; including any research and work your have already undertaken.

You provided the first. Where are the second and third?

Without this information, how are we to have any kind of a clue as to whether your problem has to due with understanding what harmonics are, or what the harmonics of a triangle wave are, or what the power spectrum of each harmonic is, or something else entirely? We are NOT mind readers!
I have done the square wave...here is picture of wave signaltime domain to frequency domain...not sure how to do the triangle wave.

Attachments

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Well, how did you get your answer for the square wave?

What's different between the square wave and the triangle wave that is preventing you from using the same process?

ronybhai

Joined Sep 18, 2012
for the square wave we was given a equation rather thn here is given waveform...n have calculate the V(t) right?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Wikipedia has it pretty much spelled out in clear precise detail. I've looked it up accidentally.

Reading is your friend, always.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
for the square wave we was given a equation rather thn here is given waveform...n have calculate the V(t) right?
So it would seem that you should try to figure out a suitable equation for the triangle wave and then proceed as before.

ronybhai

Joined Sep 18, 2012
So it would seem that you should try to figure out a suitable equation for the triangle wave and then proceed as before.
not sure how to come up with an equation from the diagram...if you know can you help me out...thx a lot...
since for the square wave we did...the equation was given...
thanks for your time.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
not sure how to come up with an equation from the diagram...if you know can you help me out...thx a lot...
since for the square wave we did...the equation was given...
thanks for your time.
Is that ANYTHING that you think it is reasonable for us to expect YOU to do in this whole process? Perhaps the reason you can't do things like come up an equation for the triangle wave, if because you have spent so little time doing anything for yourself up to this point.

ronybhai

Joined Sep 18, 2012
Is that ANYTHING that you think it is reasonable for us to expect YOU to do in this whole process? Perhaps the reason you can't do things like come up an equation for the triangle wave, if because you have spent so little time doing anything for yourself up to this point.
I don't get it what are you trying to say...Can you give any hint on how to start, if you have any clue...that will be great...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Q1) What is the equation for a line that passes through A/2 at t=0 and -A/2 at t=T/2?

Q2) What is the equation for a line that passes through -A/2 at t=T/2 and A/2 at t=T?

ronybhai

Joined Sep 18, 2012
Q1) What is the equation for a line that passes through A/2 at t=0 and -A/2 at t=T/2?

Q2) What is the equation for a line that passes through -A/2 at t=T/2 and A/2 at t=T?
is Vout, is equal to the input amplitude of the harmonic, Vin, multiplied by the filter attenuation
Vout=Vin*Av at F0