Need help with final year project

kuridak

Joined Jul 19, 2010
Hello
I am in the final year of E&E degree. I need help with my project. The idea is to make a motion sensor device. When live movement is detected, the device will trigger the alarm and the light. It will also snap a picture of that live movement and store it in a memory card. It is something like a CCTV. The problem is I am not very sure how to do this project. Can someone please help me? Thank you.

If you use a Digital Camera, you'll have to make it come out of "sleep" mode.

Most DSLRs will do that if the shutter button is pressed halfway. DLSR's like the Canon 20D have remote shutter switches which can take the photos. You just need to hack the remote switch box.

A PIC can do all that you are looking for. Got any programming experience?

kuridak

Joined Jul 19, 2010
thanks for the responses. I've never done the PIR detector but i know how to make one based on some researches before. on the digital camera part, i dont know how. my programming experience is not that good but i am quite familiar with the Matlab. The thing that I need for now is the circuit of this device that i want to design. I really dont know how and where to start. my budget also is limited so if the use of a DSLR is not possible. any other suggestions?

I've never done the PIR detector but i know how to make one based on some researches before.
So, start there.

The thing that I need for now is the circuit of this device that i want to design. I really dont know how and where to start.
I'm puzzled. Don't they teach that in school? You have to have an idea of how to go about this or you should probably work on something that you have learned how to do.

my budget also is limited so if the use of a DSLR is not possible. any other suggestions?
What kind of camera can you afford? A cheap camera will require you hacking it to work.

Len Whistler

Joined Dec 10, 2010
My budget also is limited so if the use of a DSLR is not possible. any other suggestions?
You can leave the camera out and replace it with a LED for project/demo purposes. The camera only needs two leads, maybe a third to wake it up from sleep mode.

Replace the LED with the camera trigger when finished.