Need help with digital counter kit.

Nser Uame

Joined Dec 27, 2013
I have done much circuitry, and none in years, but a current project requires me to have a digital counter. I constructed the piece as per the image provided to copy and it turns on, the rotary encoder works in the sense that it goes up and down, and resets the count by push, but the problem is it only counts to 1 before restarting at 0. Pictures below (keep in mind, I have re-done everything 3-4 times to try and figure it out, so it looks pretty shocking)

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

A schematic would be better to have.
I see a chip that has been "wiped off".
It is likely to be a pic-like chip that is programmed to be a counter.
Did you check if there are no shorts between tracks and connections?

Bertus

Nser Uame

Joined Dec 27, 2013
Hey, Bertus.

I'm not sure what you're referring to that has been "wiped-off" and thus, the following sentence made no sense to me either. You may have to use a layman's terms for me. Here are the schematics. Thanks for giving me some help!

Attachments

Nser Uame

Joined Dec 27, 2013
None of those are actually touching, except for the one that obviously is, and it shouldn't matter as the circuit follows that route anyway? I cleaned it all up a bit after I took the photo and it's still the same result. Counter only goes to 1. Is there any other possible issues? Thanks again.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Could you make a sharper picture of the solder side of the PCB?
I would use a fladbed scanner for this as in my example below:

That way there will be a steady picture.

Bertus

Attachments

Nser Uame

Joined Dec 27, 2013
Well, my new scanner's not installed, etc. yet, so maybe tomorrow. I've scoured the back up and down over and over, nothing's touching. If that's your concern. Could there not be another problem?

Nser Uame

Joined Dec 27, 2013
I got it off of eBay. The seller told me to come to this site for help. To ask for SGT Wookie. I can't get the exact link right now, I'm on my phone... but if you type "UP/DOWN DIGITAL COUNTER" it should be one of the first items. I'll get a scan for Bert and a link for you in the morn :). Thanks for the help.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Give us the make and model number of the rotary shaft encoder. The problem could be the way the encoder is wired.

Remove the 1k and 100kΩ resistors to the right of the encoder and see what happens.

Also, do you have the source code for the MCU?