need help with copper wire gage and type

Thread Starter


Joined Jul 6, 2006
I am working on a small project making a small generator and am not sure the size of wire or type to use, I found a product with the size and type i need which is used on the shake to charge flash lights you see on tv, they have a clear plastic and a magnet that goes back and forth through a copper coil to produce electicity, I need to know what gage that wire is and what type of copper, is it bare copper wire or insulated ? what gage is it ? any help would be welcome.

Thank you.


Joined Apr 20, 2004

Your wire will have to be insulated. The size is going to be small - the bulb or led will only need milliamps of current. Your best bet is going to be magnet wire, as it has an enamel insulation and will wind into a coil easily. Any size between 30 and 24 ga. will probably do just fine. 24 ga will be larger and perhaps easer to work with.
Awhile ago I did the same project that you are talking about. Without hugely complicating it, If you are making a generator then what you are powering with it will come into play. If you are just charging a set of batteries, the fine wire suggested above will do just fine. If you are powering a house, a bit lager will be needed. More info and I can give you a better breakdown.