Need help with component

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
@Mig4236 I work with a lot of remotes, rarely is it worth trying to repair them but if you take a photo of both sides of it I may can offer some advice on what commonly goes bad.

Yes, I don't know why it would be there or if it is rare or common, but I can't think what else it could be.
I have never seen them in one before so definitely not common but old GM remotes never fail to amaze me.

Mig4236

Joined Feb 4, 2020
@Mig4236 I work with a lot of remotes, rarely is it worth trying to repair them but if you take a photo of both sides of it I may can offer some advice on what commonly goes bad.

I have never seen them in one before so definitely not common but old GM remotes never fail to amaze me.
Ok thank you.

Last edited:

Mig4236

Joined Feb 4, 2020

S20200504_0003.jpg

I used a microscope. It looks damaged. Just need to figure out what it is.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If you have a multimeter they are not difficult to test. Remove the battery from the fob, then connect your mrter on a low ohms range between the cylindrical case and the pin sticking out of the end. As you move the fob to differnt angles you should see that sometimes it is high resistance and sometimes it is a near short circuit.

Mig4236

Joined Feb 4, 2020
If you have a multimeter they are not difficult to test. Remove the battery from the fob, then connect your mrter on a low ohms range between the cylindrical case and the pin sticking out of the end. As you move the fob to differnt angles you should see that sometimes it is high resistance and sometimes it is a near short circuit.
Yes I see on my multimeter. It goes high then low

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Thinking about it now, these old vettes have a odd "PKE" (passive keyless entry). It could possibly be a switch so that when the key is placed around the car and not in use the signal is cut off and does not make the locks on car go crazy. Then when your using it or walking to the car , etc..., its likely to be shuffled around enough to make contact and allow the pke system to function as normal. I bet @AlbertHall is correct. Its a movement sensor.

Last edited:

Mig4236

Joined Feb 4, 2020
Thinking about it now, these old vettes have a odd "PKE" (passive keyless entry). It could possibly be a switch so that when the key is placed around the car and not in use the signal is cut off and does not make the locks on car go crazy. Then when your using it or walking to the car , etc..., its likely to be shuffled around enough to make contact and allow the pke system to function as normal. I bet @AlbertHall is correct. Its a movement sensor.
You think that would cause the key not to work?