Need help with Component ID

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by disail, Oct 3, 2010.

  1. disail

    Thread Starter New Member

    Oct 3, 2010
    I'm trying to identify a component which has no numbers or identifying marks. It's canary yellow and has 2 leads coming out of the bottom. The circuit board has the number "104" in the components location. there are 6 of these components on the board. They act like diodes as I use an analog ohm meter, they will pass voltage in one direction only. I've attached a pic with two of the components highlighted.

    Thanks in advance for any help!
  2. marshallf3

    Well-Known Member

    Jul 26, 2010
    Pass voltage only in one direction while still in circuit?

    Remove one and I'll bet it doesn't pass anything, probably just 0.01 uF caps by the looks of them.
  3. eblc1388

    AAC Fanatic!

    Nov 28, 2008
    102 = 1000pF = 0.001uF = 1N

    103 = 0.01uF = 10N

    104 = 0.1uF = 100N
  4. disail

    Thread Starter New Member

    Oct 3, 2010
    Yes - they are in circuit still. Was just curious what they are. They don't appear to be bad so I didn't want to un-solder them to take them out and risk damage. Thanks for the replies! They probably are caps.
  5. t06afre

    AAC Fanatic!

    May 11, 2009
    Measuring components values in circuit, using a DMM. Is often not the best approach. As you will also measure on every other component connected in parallel. If you do not have a schematic you can check with. The measurements will more or less be random