Need Help with Audio Component Switch

BenG

Joined Jun 24, 2008
Hi,

I'm trying to create a box that allows me to select which audio components input to my speakers. I have a 3 pole 4 position rotary switch and 5 female 3.5mm stereo jacks. 4 of these jacks are for input devices the other is for output to an amp.

My issue is I have no idea how to hook up the 3 pole 4 position rotary switch. It has 3 leads in the center labeled "A", "B", and "C". Around these middle leads there are 15 other leads that are labeled 1-15. I have no idea how to hook this up so i can switch between the 4 inputs.

Also I am concerned because when the female jacks are directly connected to each other and I have an ipod hooked up to one and headphones hooked up to the other I do not get stereo sound... I can only hear music in one of my earbuds. I am certain that these jacks are stereo, but I don't know how to make them work that way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Ben

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The A common should switch from pins 1 - 5, B from 6 - 10, and C from 11 - 15. Pretty easy to check with a meter or a continuity tester. The outfit that makes the switch will also have data available about it online.

Stereo jacks usually have the tip as left channel, ring as right. The shaft is circuit common.

Use the A terminal to go out to the amp left channel. Use the B to go to the left. Assign inputs accordingly. You could use the C portion to light up LED's showing which input is selected.

Hint: Always draw up the circuit on a piece of paper. That lets you see that the switch will do what you want, and you have a map to follow.

Last edited:

BenG

Joined Jun 24, 2008
Great! Thank you so much for the help. Just to clarify things I meant to say that there were 12 pins around the center three... and LEDs sure would have been a great touch. Oh well. Thanks!