Need help with Amblone board (ambient lighthning behine screen)

Carlitos

Joined Feb 3, 2014
So, i am completely new to electronics. I am in the process of building a Amblone, ambient LED positioned behind screen, controlled by a arduino and computer. (Read here if you are interested http://amblone.com/guide )

I have programmed the Arduino to send out voltage on 12 pins (RGB, 4 channels)

Using a multimeter i have confirmed that the arduino is giving from 0V to 5V, depending on either static color (5V static output on pin) to rolling colors (0-5-0V).

Here are my pictures (i know about the, ehm, not so good soldering): http://imgur.com/a/kmdUH

The powersupply i am using is a 12V 1A DC adapter (from the original led-strip) The led-strip has 4 connections, R/G/B,+. Connecting + and R to the powersupply gives me red light, so that works.

But the board i made, does not give any light to my LEDs.

Can anyone help?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
But from what I can tell on your pics' of your boards, looks like you have the transistors wired backwards, looks like you have the emitter and collector reversed.... I know you said you tested the output of the arduino, did you check the outputs of the transistors??

Carlitos

Joined Feb 3, 2014
Thank you for the input.

I have tried again, verifying that my transistors are correctly rotated.

What i did was, plug the powersource, led and the arduino, like in this pic: http://i.imgur.com/pPvDg0Y.png

When i did the above, i got a solid light, it's the same way as i have on my board, as far as i can see.

Any tips?

TANDBERGEREN

Joined Jan 20, 2014
Transistors seemed connected the right way to me.

Collector to the left when holding the flat face against you and the legs downwards.

The resistors seems to be labelled 2,2Ohm? And connected to base they really are out of range. Would have changed them all to 2K2 as they are drawn in the schematics.

Carlitos

Joined Feb 3, 2014
Transistors seemed connected the right way to me.

Collector to the left when holding the flat face against you and the legs downwards.

The resistors seems to be labelled 2,2Ohm? And connected to base they really are out of range. Would have changed them all to 2K2 as they are drawn in the schematics.
Thank you for your reply.

These are the ones i have:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6005029447.html

Should be 2.2K Ohm...

Just tell me i you need 988 of them, since i only used 12.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Are you not using a stripboard and shorting every row together? Your last image (of the bottom of the board) looks like each trace on the row is connected, is it?

TANDBERGEREN

Joined Jan 20, 2014
I suspect You have constant 5V on the outputs of Your ardunio.

Could you verify that You don't?

Also verify You |have got the program completely uploaded, and perhaps checked it for any updates?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I suspect You have constant 5V on the outputs of Your ardunio.

Could you verify that You don't?

Also verify You |have got the program completely uploaded, and perhaps checked it for any updates?
If he did, the transistor would be "on" and so would the LED he has connected to it, since it is an NPN.

I would agree with tshuck, are those rows on the vero board all connected, or are the pads all individual pads? If the rows are connected, then you are shorting your emitter to collector.

TANDBERGEREN

Joined Jan 20, 2014
If he did, the transistor would be "on" and so would the LED he has connected to it, since it is an NPN.

I would agree with tshuck, are those rows on the vero board all connected, or are the pads all individual pads? If the rows are connected, then you are shorting your emitter to collector.
You are right.
Then he could check if there is any voltage at those outputs at all.

And the veroboard he is using have individual pads for each hole.
i use those a lot myself. They are very suitable for all kinds of experimenting.
Easy to place some solder to connect two or more pads.